German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking this for honest answers. I have been around GSD for over 20 years working with them in the military and owning them myself. I currently own a solid black short hair female that has the best traits I have ever seen and natural ability for protection and odor tracking to have had only the training I have given her from what I have learned over the years. Her disposition with strangers and children are great. Because of all this I chose to breed her, with another solid black GSD that comes from great protection lines and personality traits.

She had a beautiful litter of 8, I chose to keep them until 12 weeks, to work crate training and get the most out of socializing with their litter. However, several of my buyers have backed out citing they do not look pure bred. Please tell me your opinions. I know ears don't always stand up until several months old (my male was almost 6 months)...other than yoda ears, does anything else look off? I have posted pics of the parents and a few pups, they all look almost identical

I much appreciate the feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They do look like labs, but they're all black and their ears are floppy, so what do you expect? It's not the common look for a GSD at the moment with the way they currently look. Those ears do look pretty heavy though. They look like they're going to take a while to stand.

If you know for a fact that they're german shepherd puppies, what's the big deal? Are you giving your puppy buyers AKC registration papers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have given them papers, my concern lies with what I don't know because I took her to the stud for a week to prevent any sort of dominance with my neutered male at my property. I can not find comparable pics on the web of black GSD at this age, they are all long hair and small ears. I am thinking I need to DNA for breed or something to put my mind at ease

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
get a DNA test , submit the dam , the stud you expect to be sire , and if there is another male on their property include him also.

it's not just the ears , it's the head , and the front , looks a bit houndy , (dog on far right) -- but maybe not .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Forget about the ears.
What kind of dog do we think is in this picture based on the ears only?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would also get DNA tests done. Do you happen to have another photo of the sire and dam?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would DNA them as well,,now IF their ears were up, I think they would definitely look more like heavy boned gsd's, with the ears down, I agree, to me they kinda look houndy, or labby..

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
yup...DNA. Those look like labs to me too.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I just want to clarify that the DNA tests people are talking about are the AKC ones: American Kennel Club - DNA Test Kits

Not the ones that are done by like, Wisdom Panel or something right?

This is a (now dog) puppy who is 1/2 Redbone Coonhound, 1/2 GSD. Dad was black - I met the parents:

Sweetest dog. We got the pups into rescue, and then a volunteer found one of the sisters the owners had sold on Craigslist, so I paid $20 to get her - fleas were literally jumping off her body as we were standing there. Ew!

At about 10 months:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would agree that they don't appear to be purebred. They may be, but I would get a test to verify.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
get a DNA test , submit the dam , the stud you expect to be sire , and if there is another male on their property include him also.

it's not just the ears , it's the head , and the front , looks a bit houndy , (dog on far right) -- but maybe not .
I would definitely DNA the sire, dam and puppies. Akc.org has instructions.
yes, they are talking about DNA the sire and dam thru the AKC, not a commercial DNA test on the puppies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts