German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have 40 years of experience in water safety.
I read the words: kayak, canoe, sup and GSD and I think Yikes.
I think of a situation that can turn ugly very fast in deep water.

The video shows a man lifting what appears to be a 40lb dog on to his boat.
He is very skilled at that maneuver. It is something that he has practiced and perfected.
The dog is prepared and expecting the lift. It is familiar to him. He is not agitated, scrambling or clawing the boat.

I'm trying to visualize a 60, 70, 80 lb. dog wearing a life vest or not...
If the dog abandons the boat or causes it to tip, I see a struggle, I see a complicated situation.

Life vest???
A person can drown wearing a life vest
A dog can drown wearing a life vest
Fatigue is a killer in water
Swallowing/ gulping lg amounts of water...
Lungs can fill up very quickly with water.

Safety First.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have 40 years of experience in water safety.
I read the words: kayak, canoe, sup and GSD and I think Yikes.
I think of a situation that can turn ugly very fast in deep water.

The video shows a man lifting what appears to be a 40lb dog on to his boat.
He is very skilled at that maneuver. It is something that he has practiced and perfected.
The dog is prepared and expecting the lift. It is familiar to him. He is not agitated, scrambling or clawing the boat.

I'm trying to visualize a 60, 70, 80 lb. dog wearing a life vest or not...
If the dog abandons the boat or causes it to tip, I see a struggle, I see a complicated situation.

Life vest???
A person can drown wearing a life vest
A dog can drown wearing a life vest
Fatigue is a killer in water
Swallowing/ gulping lg amounts of water...
Lungs can fill up very quickly with water.

Safety First.

Just my two cents.
I am not a spring chicken anymore and will not paddle in choppy or scary deep water and never far from shore. I am always super safety-conscious and enjoy the aquarium look of healthy lakes and shallow rivers. I can see your worries though but you don't have to :smile2:
Regarding why not kayak paddle in a canoe: good point, never thought about that one :hammer:

·
Registered
906 Posts
OMGosh! I really didn't want to steal the fun out the thread.

It became a teachable moment for me. : )
When youre not a spring chicken anymore you worry less about being the party pooper. Lol

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
OMGosh! I really didn't want to steal the fun out the thread.

It became a teachable moment for me. : )
When youre not a spring chicken anymore you worry less about being the party pooper. Lol
My guess is most ppl on this forum are responsible dog owners and know their limitations. :wink2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Me and a buddy took his 3 yrd male on a 3 man kayak he had no trouble. He doesn't swim much from shore but when we took him out he jumped in and out only hard part of the kayak was getting him back on after he swims around. all in all he had a blast and so did we. I hope when my 3 month old female gets a bit older she will love the water so we can take her out on the kayak as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Its all about prep and training. We wear life vests on all boats regardless because I have seen too many excellent swimmers drown. All you have to do is pass out and fall out of the boat. Working a cadaver dog gives you perspective.

Of course you do your safety drills in safe area close to shore and make sure you know what you are in for. Their dog already has sea legs so it is a matter of training to manage a spill. For us, we tend to kayak near shore as opposed to open water. The SOT is because we *can* get back in if we tip and it cannot sink.

Agree on the Ruffwear Float coat is the best life vest for dogs I have used.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Me and a buddy took his 3 yrd male on a 3 man kayak he had no trouble. He doesn't swim much from shore but when we took him out he jumped in and out only hard part of the kayak was getting him back on after he swims around. all in all he had a blast and so did we. I hope when my 3 month old female gets a bit older she will love the water so we can take her out on the kayak as well.
I hope to get a new pup in the fall. He will be in the kayak a few weeks later. Is there is reason you are waiting with yours?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hope to get a new pup in the fall. He will be in the kayak a few weeks later. Is there is reason you are waiting with yours?
Well I made an older post on the topic of pre-shot restrictions. I got a lot of advice but also some stories about the consequence of rushing it so I want to know she has her shots completed before taking her out anywhere that could get her sick. At this stage I still don't let her run around the grass seeing as the prior tenents had pets, as well as strays are known to come in my yard in the day while my gate is open. My vet advised me 2 weeks after her 3rd set of shots is ok to take her out and about, but seeing as her last set of shots is only a week or so later I chose to wait it out better to be safe than sorry. April 29 is her last set of puppy shots and we will get her out into the world after.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What vets don't tell you is that wildlife can carry disease as well so keeping them home until their last shots can be a false sense of security. Do you know what crosses our yard at night? Coyotes and raccoons can carry distemper. It also means that the risk of getting sick is not as major as we always think. I have always taken my pups out and about after their first shots, using common sense and avoiding dog areas and preventing them from eating and licking stuff on the way. We live in a forested area, teaming with wild life. Never has one pup gotten sick.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I also took my pup out after first shot and avoided dog park areas and stopped him if he tried to eat animal poo. There is so much to learn about being offlead in the woods when the dog is young and the pack drive is highest. When they get older they are more inclined to take off an explore and it kind of proactively stops it by establishing the appropriate behaviors up front.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts