German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try kayaking using a sit on kayak with their dog? I’m looking at a few basic ones to try out. All 3 I’m considering will support 275 lbs, more than enough for me and and any one of my dogs.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you would do better with a canoe.
They’ve done ok in canoes and small boats before (been a few years though). I saw a guy with a sit on kayak with a cattle dog on board. The sit on looks like it might be less cumbersome to get them back on board should they bail out for some reason. Some models have a flatter area in back that’s sits low. If I can attach some dense foam for a bit of traction it might help keep them more secure and comfortable.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
We have a tandem sit-on-top kayak that's very stable (and very hard to tip), but dogs do not go with us. Mine would jump in -- 100% certainty of it. Hauling a dog back onto the kayak would be a pain in the tush, and likely land all of us in the water! (I also don't want them in the bayou water here -- too much bacteria and too many gators.)

If you get a sit-inside kayak, the possibility of the dog flipping it is higher than otherwise. They're kind of hard to get back into when it's just a person who flips, but getting a dog back up and righting the kayak would be...hard.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My thinking is it would be next to impossible to get a gsd back on the kayak unless your in water where you are able to stand. I have an ocean kayak and wouldn't bring a gsd out on it, but that's me.

·
4,483 Posts
I have a heck of a time trying to convince my big-boy not to jump out of the bass boat when we are going slowly. We've never tried the canoe. Is there are kayak you could borrow to try it first and not invest in it just to find out it isn't GSD worthy?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use to have to haul my lab back in our fishing boat often and it was a pita so I get what people are saying. Plus I was much younger and more flexible back then, lol

The primary place I'll take them is a local river with a lot of shallows. It varies in depth but this time of year you can just about walk across in many sections. It averages about 4-5' deep with a few "holes" here and there so having to get off to help them on is doable. Zoey is a pretty patient girl and would most likely stay put as long as she can hold her toy and go along for a ride, we'll see.

Our water up here is generally clear and clean for the most part. No bugs, gators, or killer amoebas. :grin2: I've lived in the south east for a bit and while it can be beautiful there are definitely some critters down there that ought not to messed with and infections can get serious quickly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My thinking is it would be next to impossible to get a gsd back on the kayak unless your in water where you are able to stand. I have an ocean kayak and wouldn't bring a gsd out on it, but that's me.
Nigel. I agree with Huntergreen.

My background is in water safety and it’s hard for me not to throw my 2 cents in when people ask on this forum about kayaking, paddle boarding or canoeing with their dogs (especially large dogs like GSDs).

Aside from the “holes” it sounds like you have an ideal place for practicing kayaking with your dog. You in a life vest. Your dog in a life vest.
I don’t think it’s safe for you or anyone else to venture into deep open water with your dog on any of the above mentioned boats or paddle board.

The process of drowning begins with only a few good gulps of water then add panic to that and about 3 to 5 minutes...
Then throw a panicked dog into that mix.
Adults can drown in just a few minutes.
Even with life vests, It’s a recipe for disaster.

And lastly I’m going to write something that will be unpopular to some GSD owners. GSDs are not built for swimming.
They are very muscular. Their coat does not deflect water it sops water up like a sponge. A wet coat is heavy to carry. That becomes a lot to drag through the water.

GSDs can be good swimmers. But It takes a lot of energy and strength to pull that weight through water.

Again it’s my two cents.

·
4,483 Posts
And lastly I’m going to write something that will be unpopular to some GSD owners. GSDs are not built for swimming.
They are very muscular. Their coat does not deflect water it sops water up like a sponge. A wet coat is heavy to carry. That becomes a lot to drag through the water.

GSDs can be good swimmers. But It takes a lot of energy and strength to pull that weight through water.

Again it’s my two cents.
and if we have a dog that likes to gulp water like my big-boy does, that is another big problem. We can only let him play in the water for a short while or he starts taking too many sips.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We tried it and Zoey did well. She fell off once and was almost able to get back up on her own, but there is no traction on the slick plastic sides. My son was in the water and was able to give her a little boost. There is enough room on the kayak that I can make a platform for her to sit or lay on, For today I used a boat cushion. We stayed 20-30 feet off the shore line so it would be an easy swim in for her if she slipped off.

I though about ordering her a life vest , especially now that she's taken to it so well. We did do a few dry runs on the beach first and that went nice so we went for on the water and she did great.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here we are on a bass boat.

The dogs are wearing Float Coats.
https://gopro.com/v/pgn8l6gXaWlR
I'm going to have to research life vests a bit. Mine are comfortable in water so I'd like to find something that'll help without hindering if that makes sense. They also like boat rides, but then their interest wanes a little unless we are actually catching something, lol

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not a sit on top, I prefer to sit inside for glide but imagine an on top would be easier to hoist your dog back on top. A vest with a handle makes it a lot easier to grab a hold of the dog.
I like it! I'm looking forward to going out again today. My wife is liking the idea as well after hearing the kids go on about it. Her dog is still a pup, but if he doesn't slow down with his growth she'll need a pontoon boat :grin2:

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Liking the videos and photos. Yeah we have the bay that I would try this on and go not to far from the shore. We have the intex kayaks so I certainly don’t go to far from the shore regardless. Looks like fun.
I would have them get still on the kayak before bringing in water. I can see them might getting bored but maybe not.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like it! I'm looking forward to going out again today. My wife is liking the idea as well after hearing the kids go on about it. Her dog is still a pup, but if he doesn't slow down with his growth she'll need a pontoon boat :grin2:
Try getting your dog to stay down/still on a paddle board, much harder :grin2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts