German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Email from AC. This has gone out to the IL GSD rescues.

I've attached pics of not 1...but 2 GSD's in need of rescue. Both of these boys have great potential for adoption after a little work.
We do not have a sufficient number of staff or kennels to get these
boys to the point of adoptability and their time is running out.
Either of these pups will do very well in a GSD experienced home.

First pic is "Harley" a 7mo old, neutered GSD. Harley was relinquished to us after his beloved owner, a 17yr old, was found dead in his room and Harley was guarding the body. Suicidal overdose is suspected w/ the previous owner. Harley is a very handsome and large red & black w/ a LOT of anxiety. He is constantly pacing and gives a very confused barking when you walk by his kennel. It is obvious that Harley is still VERY attached to his owner and has just begun to bond w/ me after working w/ him a bit. When walking him, Harley often jumps up-but has never shown aggression. As our staff have spent limited time w/ him, Harley has proved eager to learn and that he respects a pack leader. We believe that he is fully rehabable- but understand that too many more transitions may cause some permanent damage. We are seeking a rescue for him that can place him with an understanding, experienced and PERMANENT home.

Harley

Second pic is "Enzo"- whom I found left in our outside runs one morning. He is submissive and affectionate with a LOT of ball drive. Enzo is an intact male about 10 months old with very little training. Enzo did not pass his temperament test because of resource guarding and being very grabby with treats and toys. While his behavioral issues are concerning, his rehabilitation will likely be less severe than Harley's. Enzo needs to learn basic manners and to have an owner who can be firm and a leader with him.

Enzo

Both dogs have had all vaccinations, fecal testing and de-worming. Both dogs are in need of rescue to work through behavioral/emotional issues and will likely need placement in a GSD experienced home. Our shelter is still without power from the big storm, so I will try to get more accurate weights on these guys later. I'm guessing about 65-70lbs on them right now. This info may be cross-posted to appropriate rescues. Thank you!

~Melanie Griffin~
Adoption Coordinator
Kankakee County Animal Control
815-937-2949

Please view our website for a list of adoptable animals.
http://[email protected]

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
They both sound like great dogs...and very typical gsd puppies who haven't had enough training!

I hope a rescue can take them!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Someone please help these poor babies!!!
It just broke my heart thinking that the poor baby was guarding her owner, who committed a suicide
I have always said that I HATE people and I will say it one more time...

Please help these guys!!!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Superpup:

Was checking the status of this post and read that Harley was surendered to shelter after his 17 yr old owner committed suicide; then read your post where you state "I HATE people". Do you have children? And please do not say that your dogs are like your children. Yes, dogs are wonderful, but having your dog die IS NOT the same, nor anywhere close, as having one's child die. Did you take a second to think of that 17 yr old's parents, not to mention the horrible place that 17 yr old must have been in to commit suicide? It is very sad when a good loyal dog ends up in a shelter through no fault of its own, but let's look at the whole picture which is that a 17 yr old child killed themselves. Unless you have buried a child, which I have, you will never know what that family is experiencing and, therefore, you shouldn't judge them one iota for giving the dog to the shelter. That child's death, and the pain of those parents, is the saddest part of this story.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
ps to superpup...although i can understand your feelings, there is TOO MUCH HATE already in this world.

dogsaver, i'm sorry for your loss.

hoping there is help out there for these pups.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
pss...superpup...any book on the "law of attraction" might also be interesting to you. words have such power.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Perhaps Superpup was referring to the jerk that dumped Enzo in the manner in which he was left at the shelter. More often than not, my favorite line is "I hate people" especailly for people like the people that dumped Enzo.

In Harleys case....I am sorry for all involved.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Re: Kankakee, IL: 7 Mo & 10 Mo Males -Rescue Only

no matter who anyone is talking about, my personal opinion is that there is already just too much hate in the world. to me there is no "good hate" or "bad hate", there is just too much hate in the world period, and i refuse to add to it, no matter what the circumstances. i believe there are only two options, to be part of the problem or part of the solution. that's just my own personal code of ethics.

ps...that doesn't mean that it doesn't sicken me on a daily basis what human beings are capable of...i just absolutely refuse to put out more of the same.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok......I will rephrase it..........The more people I know, the more I love my dogs.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Originally Posted By: TracieOk......I will rephrase it..........The more people I know, the more I love my dogs.
I'm sure that phrase would be preferred by "the *hate* police"

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
WOW, I had not noticed that there were so many replies to my reply...

To clarify... I do not have any sympathy for anyone who commits a suicide.
I am sure it is horrible for the parents and I am not a parent but this is MY OPINION only... I do not have sympathy for anyone who commits a suicide. I feel sorry for the dog that had to be surrended and hopefully he will get a good home.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bump for a good home for both of these dogs.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Lets drop all the personal comments and focus on rescuing these dogs.

My hunch is my rescue group might take them, and I could foster at least one.

My dad is ill and I am heading out of town to visit him. However, if these dogs are still available on Friday perhaps our group will help.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: MyoungWhite Paws will be taking these 2!!
Yeay!!! Thank you!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts