German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've been on the site for about 7 months now reading and reading, and really appreciate all the great information on this site.

I have a Black/Tan GSD, named Kallee that is now 15 weeks old. She has been doing great except 3 main problems, 2 of which after reading on this site seem somewhat common.

1. Eats poop, but only her poop
2. Eats rocks
3. Just this week has developed barking at other dogs 'sometimes' and even once peed when the dog came close. I say sometimes because if she knows the dog, she doesn't bark just pulls to go play. The barking is deep and her hackles have been up a couple times, but not every time, the tail is fairly level and I start with no tension on the leash.

The poop I can keep her from, the rocks we've got a fairly strong 'Drop-it' command and I carry treats as well to reward for drop-its.

The barking is very concerning because, she's all of 25lbs now and it makes people back away, but at 75lbs, it will be an even more serious problem.

A trainer has instructed me to really work on better focus with her, which I agree with and will do. The problem occurring though is just somewhat surprising for all the dog to dog socializing I have done with her.

I attend a puppy kindergarten class 1-2 times a week and she has many dog friends at the apartment dog park that she plays great with. I'm fairly picky about when we go in and leave upon a dog entering that I'm not sure about or hadn't met.

Have any of you fellow GSD owners had this problem and what are some recommendations for it?

Ohh and everyone loves pictures and vids so here's those links!
8 Weeks to 15 Weeks Pics

Kallee Youtube Vids

Kallee HD Vids

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Sounds like she is going through a fear stage (the peeing).

Ignore her reactions but don't force her to meet other dogs right now. It could make thes reactions permanent.

I would find some very friendly, understanding dogs that she doesn't know and setup a meeting with them.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
She is adorable

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
On the rocks - as a pup one of mine often had feces that looked like asphalt they were so full of small rocks! Another chewed on sandstone rocks that were too big to eat. Fortuantely they outgrew this. A friend, however, had a dog who ate rocks and did not out grow the predilection - Late in his life, he had at least two emergency abdominal surgeries caused by rocks.

On the poop - might be overfed a bit and therefore not digesting the food as completely as she should. I've found that if I feed a little bit of real protien (as in chicken or beef) with the kibble, my persistent poop eater leaves it alone - mostly. Mostly I say because sometimes I need to bolster it with a few of the "eat crap no more" tabs. As far as dog excrement goes, she will only eat the fresh stuff but it can be hers or Barker the Elder's.

As for barking - 1. teach her to bark on command & 2. follow the advise given above by basically staying relaxed and calm and quietly distracting.

She's a cutie! Have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback Lauri, littledmc & middleofnowhere. I will definitely try and setup a few meetings with some good dogs and owners.

The overfed part makes sense, but as skinny as she is, I don't think she's too over fed. I will try and add some boiled chicken to the meal and see how that goes. She's on Canidea pure chicken version. Canidea just changed all their formulas which has been fun. I had also found a thread on here about using meat tenderizer?

The bark on command I would very much like to teach, but I've had a hard time finding something she'll bark at consistently enough to train as a command. And not sure the barking at others dogs is the right one to use to try and train.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Originally Posted By: Fen... I've had a hard time finding something she'll bark at consistently enough to train as a command. And not sure the barking at others dogs is the right one to use to try and train.
I can relate. When my trainer suggested this my first thought was "another dog" followed closely by "horses or people!" "Doorbell????" Then I caught on that she barked consistently at the rake when I was cleaning the paddock. So you might see how a patio broom works...

Similar to when he challenged me to find what Barker the Elder would work for if not treats. (At that time she wasn't food motivated). My first thought was horses or cows or sheep. Not a very portable reward. Barker the Elder is an accomodating dog and decided to work whole heartedly for treats...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts