German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I posted a thread where I asked what the pitfalls were in adopting a 12 year old GSD . I didn't get the dog as the owner relented and decided to keep the dog . Well Monday I got a PM on my Facebook page asking if I would take this guy in . I said YES !
This is Kaiser and he's a little over a year old . His previous owners were a bunch of teenagers sharing an apartment . They had the poor guy locked indoors with only trips outside to go potty ! The manager got wind of Kaiser when he tore the window screen to get out ! So They were given their 30 day notice . They were trying to sell him on Craigslist but got no takers as they were asking way too much for him . All I did was pay the $60 fine for them that they got from the apartment complex and took the dog .
He's small , has that "roachback" look to him . He needs some work with his recall and "stay" . He has a strong "sit" . He had no leash manners last night when I brought him but we worked on it this morning , with some help with a Martingale collar , and he's walking very well now ! Very smart dog and eager to please . He is toy driven .
Bo and Bear are getting use to him and things are starting to settle in well . I think we made the right decision and he's going to fit in very well .
I'll have to change my avatar as soon as I get a good picture of the three .
Rudy .

Attachments

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
sounds good - for you and for this pup!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Congratulations! He looks like quite a handsome "pup"! It's great that you took him. Dogs advertised on Craig's list are sometimes taken as bait dogs. I wish it was illegal to advertise dogs in that way. Anyway, good luck with him! :)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
YAY!!! Those teenager homes are sometimes SO bad. I'm so glad you can give him a proper home. I'll bet he's very happy to be in a good home. Kudos!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you just got him I would "strongly" suggest you review and consider the first link here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

And I would also train all the dogs in the "Place Command" it's in here along with some excellent sites (in my view.) :)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7378442-post9.html

And Congradulations he's a handsome boy. :)
Thanks for the links and advice . Since I got my first GSD 3 years ago I myself have gone through several dog training classes . I'm semi retired and have lots of time to work with all the dogs . I have leash trained several dogs in my neighborhood . As well as my brothers two pits and his daughter's pit . And all the dogs are trained in the "place command" .
Kaiser is a very smart dog , toy driven and very eager to please . Bo my 3 year old GSD is a big help with the training as he is the example for Kaiser to follow . Kaiser and I are going through a bonding process but he is eager to learn and please . We are having fun with this guy , he's playful but quiet when he needs to be.
I'm just as lucky to have him as much as he's lucky to have us !

Again thank you for the links , I don't pretend to know everything about dogs . I appreciate any and all help .

Rudy .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts