German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife was out of town lastnight, so I decided to see how Kain would do sleeping outside his crate. I figured this would be the best time for the experiment (plenty of time for me to clean up any messes and/or destruction he may cause before the wife gets home today). I gave him a good brushing, grabbed a soft (quiet) chew toy, and off to bed we went. The evening started with him lying on my wife's side of the bed but he soon jumped to the floor and found a good spot by the bedside (even better). He slept there all night without a peep, almost forgot he was there when I got up this morning. I did however close the bedroom door so that he didn't have free run of the house unsupervised, haven't gotten the courage up for that experiment yet. It was a good night's sleep. Ya know, there's something very reassuring about having a German Shepherd sleeping next to ya. :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
"Ya know, there's something very reassuring about having a German Shepherd sleeping next to ya."...I hear that!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Ya know, there's something very reassuring about having a German Shepherd sleeping next to ya. :)
Roger that!!!!

Unless he's had too many 'Stones and has REALLY bad gas...........lol :(

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Good boy Kain! Where will he be tonight?

I love having the dogs nearby, and if they want out(normallly at 4:30 am) I am a light enough sleeper to hear a whine or pacing. I do indulge them when they want out, though I'm sure they'd be able to hold it. Both Onyx and Karlo have been crate free since each were about 7 mos.
One night I heard the pacing/didn't let them out and found someone had diarrhea'd in the lower level, so I won't ignore it again! That was the first accident we've had in forever!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Great job Kain! I left Stosh out for the first time when my husband was out of town for a few days-- he just laid in the kitchen on the cool tile floor and I had to wake him up to go out in the morning he slept so well. It is great to have a gsd free in the house at night when I'm home alone

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good boy Kain! Where will he be tonight?

I love having the dogs nearby, and if they want out(normallly at 4:30 am) I am a light enough sleeper to hear a whine or pacing. I do indulge them when they want out, though I'm sure they'd be able to hold it. Both Onyx and Karlo have been crate free since each were about 7 mos.
One night I heard the pacing/didn't let them out and found someone had diarrhea'd in the lower level, so I won't ignore it again! That was the first accident we've had in forever!
The family made it back today, so Kain will be crated tonight. As soon as I can make it to the store, I'll get a baby gate for the bedroom doorway, then he can sleep in our room every night, until I feel comfortable with letting him have run of the house.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Once in a while, when my wife goes to visit her sister and I'm going to be busy or gone, she'll take the dogs with her.
I think I have a harder time sleeping when they're not here with me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My two are both 3 years old so they get free range at night. To be honest, I forget to lock the door because I feel that safe with them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My two are both 3 years old so they get free range at night. To be honest, I forget to lock the door because I feel that safe with them.
wow and you do that in tacoma? I guess it depends on the area.

but then again where i'm from no one locks doors and leaves keys in vehicles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good for you and Kain. My problem with letting Dexter o ut of his crate at night now is that at 3 a.m. he'll want to play with Luke and it gets noisy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts