German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out last night and I stopped to get gas at Circle K. I went in to pay as I wanted to get some other items, and upon approaching the counter, I noticed a little card with a K9 on it (He was a Shepherd/Malinois Mix) taped to a display on the counter. It had obvious Police insignia, so I got curious and turned it over to take a quick glance at the other side as there were people behind me. I didn't get to read the paragraph on the dog, but it mentioned things like Height/Weight. I think they called the dog a "MalinShep", which I found very odd. I don't know why they came up with such a name and didn't just say it was a cross between two breeds. So I quickly asked the attendant what was up with that card and he wasn't too sure, but he thinks it's part of some new program they're trying out?

Has anyone come across these cards before? I had never seen any type of K9 trading cards before last night. I guess all of those here with young kids can get them into these types of cards instead of Baseball cards, huh. ;)

Just for reference, the card looked somewhat like this, but showed the entire dog on a grassy field. It had a border with some type of Police insignia, as I said, though I didn't get a close look at that portion of it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
to me that actually sound pretty cool. this is the first i've heard about them though

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Hey! Hey you! Do you have the Belgian Malinois?" "...No, but can I trade you my Sable German Shepherd for your Dutch Shepherd?" "...Hmm, I don't know, I like my Dutchie, let me think about that, I'll get back to you..."

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, 3 K9 cards aren't exactly a "collection".
I was trying to think of what breeds are used as K9's and couldn't come up with many. I guess they use Lab's, too, huh? If they're really going to get serious about these trading cards (Meaning, the ability for a "collection") then they're going to have to go through all the coat types/colors for Shepherds and the other breeds, then list their names to customize them, haha. I don't know how well this will catch on. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've been given some - one from a friend with her SAR dog's pic and bio and then another friend sent me some put out by US Customs Service.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found this website: K9 Trading Cards | Canine Baseball Cards

In looking through the Gallery I came across this Officer Trading Card. Something about his pose/look just cracks me up:

If I was an Officer, I'm not sure how keen I would be about having my own Trading Card, it would weird me out a little bit. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
The shop where we buy our pet food has TONS from all the local K9 officers. The owner of the shop donates to various funds that support the K9 teams and also supplies their food and other needs at a discount and sometimes as a donation. He is also a GSD owner (his GSD is at work with him everyday and my kids love Zeus!)

My son also has a bunch from events we went to when we lived in New England....K9 demos, county fairs, rescue events- we got cards everywhere.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm..I suppose in hindsight they probably aren't so unheard of...At K9 demos and rescue events, etc. I saw this one at the gas station though? :confused: I guess that's why I found it so odd, in addition to the fact that I had never seen them before in general.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
A lot of departments have them, both for officers and for K-9s. They're a great thing to hand out to kids during public events. :D
I'd be one standing in line. You'd see all these little kids, half my height, then me, all waiting for a coloring book. LOL

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hary looks awfully angry in that outline.

"Kiddos...Hary says to watch where the heck you're going around train tracks...Or he'll bite your face off!"

Just a friendly reminder, children. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts