German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was wondering what everyone thinks about jute tugs vs bite suit?

I was wondering if they tend to be more abrasive to a dog's teeth? I have never seen them in person, so I am imagining the texture of like a burlap bag.

Do they tend to be more durable than bite suit (the material itself)?

I find the bite suit ones get soft/floppy pretty fast, do the jute tugs tend to hold up better in that way?

Do they wash as well as bite suit?

I am just trying to look into different things because I saw some at a pretty good special (Gappay brand) and am wondering about them.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have many tugs, except bite suit, including various leather ones, jute ones, synthetic puppy sleeves, etc. The jute one I have is from Leerburg is the 10" braided jute tug made in Germany. I am not sure what you mean by abrasive, no actual tug is going to damage the dogs teeth if used as designed, but the material itself is like a burlap bag but the one I have it is wound tight. My dog likes it very much, but she likes biting anything I put in front of her. As far as washing, it doesn't get incredibly dirty if played with properly (dog doesn't have access to chew it/play with it without me) but could easily be hand washed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the reply. "Tight wound burlap" kind of gives me a better idea.

Sorry if I explained myself wrong, by abrasive I mean like say a tennis ball is abrasive to a dog's teeth/enamel long term. Jute rope seemed kind of "rough", but I had no idea how the toys themselves are made.

I also only use for interactive play, but need to wash relatively often because the tugs gets soaked in saliva and get pretty raunchy, lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cool, thanks for the reply. "Tight wound burlap" kind of gives me a better idea.

Sorry if I explained myself wrong, by abrasive I mean like say a tennis ball is abrasive to a dog's teeth/enamel long term. Jute rope seemed kind of "rough", but I had no idea how the toys themselves are made.

I also only use for interactive play, but need to wash relatively often because the tugs gets soaked in saliva and get pretty raunchy, lol.

Thanks.
It is definitely more abrasive, in that context, than a leather or synthetic tug. Is this something you have read/heard about that is a concern? I can't imagine how many hours a dog would have to play with an abrasive toy for me to be worried about tooth health but maybe there are concerns I am not aware of.

The jute is not as absorbent as other materials due to the material and "weave," at least of the one I have, so it doesn't get dirty in that way quickly. In a puppy bite sleeve, I have one of those as well, it will absorb but not nearly as quickly as the synthetic or leather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh no, I haven't heard anything.

I was just wondering.

(I admit in part since many IPO dogs I've seen seem to have worn canines, I was wondering if maybe it had anything to do with biting on the jute sleeves? But then again, who knows what else they might be doing if their lives...)

Less absorbent is super! I think I will try them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
32,388 Posts
Get the french linen tugs from gappay. I"ve washed those before

1 - 6 of 6 Posts