German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching AKC "Pukanuba" (another member came up with that, love it) and the "Best Bred By" segment. The Cavalier showed with its tail tucked and looking quite scared and one of the announcers called the dog out on it. The guest announcer lady who is a breeder/shower said it's just a little stage fright, this is a big show, not like others, blah blah blah...."

Nice to see you, a breeder, justifying clearly weak nerves and making excuses for it. Unfortunately there were again a lot of dogs that were clearly nervous. On a positive note, I really enjoyed the handler and greyhound who took a bow.
That was cute!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm disappointed that I've been watching pretty closely so far and have yet to see a dog with any title other than CH.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I heard that as well and thought that it was bit odd. I don't know anything about these shows, so I just am looking at all the different breeds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jamie,

Now that I think about it I thought the slope was more of how the style became in the AKC. Meega does not have a slope like that at all. Personally I'm not a big fan of a slope that large as it seems to make it harder for them to move. However, this is my totally untrained eye so maybe I am totally wrong.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
JMHO, the sloping back is a 'side-effect' of the elongated stifles and exaggerated angles of their hind legs. It's just that the slope is more obvious to the average person and that's why it gets the attention rather than their hind-end construction.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I saw that Cavalier, too! That was awful. When the judge went to the table to inspect his teeth and head, his tail was clearly tucked the whole time. Not only was he nervous then, even during the down-n-back he had a tight expression with eyes darting all around.

I can't believe the announcer said it's "understandable" given the noise, lights, people. Really? Ugh....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoJMHO, the sloping back is a 'side-effect' of the elongated stifles and exaggerated angles of their hind legs. It's just that the slope is more obvious to the average person and that's why it gets the attention rather than their hind-end construction.
That makes sense. The angles in the hind legs are very much extreme, which would cause a slope overall. Again I would think that would make it harder to run and make them not be able to herd as well, since they are in the herding group. Just watching the dogs gate I can almost bet that Meega, along with most of the shepherds I see on here would run circles around that one.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I saw some of the dogs with the TDI designation.

I thought the GSD comment was wierd too...

The Dobe in the international competition was gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I Have an Am bred that I show/will be showing ( we have already done one show and we will be doing another the 13th and 14th of this month) She is not as sloped as most of the shepherds and she doesnt wobble when she walks either, I got a lot of good comments about her while we were at the show. Some of the ppl there were disturbed at how some of the shepherds were moving in the ring. Some of the ppl LOVED my girl because her movement was not like the others and she was VERY socialable. Anyways, I plan on titling my dog in many different things, this spring I will start some herding with her. I will be doing agility with her too depending on what her hips come back.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
well it is very sad for me to see what has become of "american showline" shepherds. a beautifully moving shepherd is indeed a sight to see. nobody saw one tonight. her rear conformation and movement did not look sound

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I did not get to watch as I am still in Iraq. I would have liked to have seen it.

The breeder that bred my Kayos had a dog there, Kayos' niece in fact.

They also bought a puppy to show in the 6-9 month class.

She does not breed over angulated dogs and they did not get put up.

The pup did well and no sign of any nerves, ate the whole thing up and was very confident. It was the pups first show.

As long as judges put up nervy dogs we sill see nervy dogs bred.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Kathy can you youtube it or maybe pull it up on animal planet.com?

I only caught a little of the show. I miss dogshows.
I went to what seemed like a gazillion as a kid. My favorite part of them then was all the awesome vendor booths...oh and the fact that I would walk around thinking I was so awesome with Rottweilers twice my size! LOL!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I turned on the TV just as they were showing the herding group (yay for lucky timing) and was excited to see three of the four types of Belgians in the ring, but disappointed to see the German Shepherd.

I didn't think that the dog moved the way a German Shepherd should move, at all, and the comment that was made by the commentator was just odd. She explained that the purpose of the slope to the back is so the dog can keep his head low while herding sheep. Huh?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
My computer connection is so slow here I cannot download video at all. Sometimes even pictures here take forever. Oh well...... I will see the next one.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: DianaM
Quote:She explained that the purpose of the slope to the back is so the dog can keep his head low while herding sheep.
Oh yeah, she's a winner....
First time I heard that one......

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I loved the Greyhound bowing, too.

Originally Posted By: LiesjeI'm disappointed that I've been watching pretty closely so far and have yet to see a dog with any title other than CH.
Actually, there was one dog one of the commentators said was in the agility ring earlier. The dog had an RN and a MXJ I believe. I forgot which breed, though, but I did jump up in excitement when I saw it.

Originally Posted By: Historian
I didn't think that the dog moved the way a German Shepherd should move, at all, and the comment that was made by the commentator was just odd. She explained that the purpose of the slope to the back is so the dog can keep his head low while herding sheep. Huh?
Same here. That was the first time I've heard that excuse! Made me really go "what...?".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts