German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Dad walked Apollo today, and Apollo was good and tired, so I thought this would be opportune timing to socialize him with Zeus. So we did. We let Apollo sniff Zeus, and then they started 'kissing' each other. Is this normal? Also, would it be normal for Apollo to want to try to groom Zeus? He was sniffing Zeus' hind quarters and then trying to groom him as if he were grooming himself. Insight?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Im not sure what it means but my fiance has two non-gsds and they groom/ lick each other all day long! Ears, back, lips, etc. Sometimes its cute othertimes its like "OK! Enough!"

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Licking faces is submission so they are both being submissive which is very good. It sounds like they will get along very well if their initial meetings are so calm and loving. As for the grooming, well, some dogs do that to one another. However, if it is going on in the genital/anus areas then I don't encourage it. I would gently redirect that one.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dogs are young. what's the problem with them getting together? it sounds like they don't spend much time together. why aren't they together most of the time? when they get together they are probably acting the way young dogs do when they get together.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason they aren't together all of the time is that Apollo is significantly bigger than Zeus is. He also thinks Zeus is the same age as himself and can therefore play with him just as rough as someone his own size. We socialize them a lot every day, they just aren't allowed around each other unattended.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we have a 1 year old boy (as of 6/4/08) and a 7 yr. old Grey Hound. our Grey Hound (female) was very gentle with our pup. we brought him home at 9 weeks old. our Grey Hound is very,very laid back. i want another dog, a Golden Retreiver but the GF said the next dog is going to be a rescue. we could rescue a Retreiver but i think she means a pound dog, not a pure bred. as far as playing goes our Shep is gentle with smaller dogs. when we go to the dog park he actually plays gentle with all of the dogs. when we get our next dog i'll keep the size in mind when it comes to letting them be together all of the time. so you have 2 Sheps, how cool is that??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts