German Shepherds Forum banner

Just wondering...

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  shell nyc 
#1 ·
Hey just had a thought, and I was wondering...
Does anyone on here live in an apartment with their GSD? If so can you please list what city?

I have called probably ever apartment within a 200 mile area and no luck with my little Kola. Either they have a weight restriction...or breed restriction. The only 2 places I did find that accepted her one was way over priced, and the other in a high crime area. So that ruled those out. She isn't full GSD, I think she is either mixed with Husky, or Weinheimer. I know the GSD part because the momma was a pure breed GSD.

I am living in Florida. However we would like to move and at this point we dont care where. My soon to be hubby can transfer his job anywhere in the states so its not a big concern.

I was just wondering... maybe I could get some ideas on GSD friendly areas.
Thanks to whoever responds.

#2 ·
You might have to rent privately rather than from a complex. We used to have a condo on the beach in Hollywood and it had a weight restriction but the building next door didn't. So you might look into condos that are being rented by the owner in a pet friendly condo.

#24 ·
I agree. We live in a 3 bedroom condo. Our complex allows two pets each unit. But if renting, allowing a pet would be up to an individual owner. Generally I'd say the pet rules are not enforced in the condos in my area unless your dog ruins the lawn or barks excessively. About 30 miles south of us are the dog friendly cities of Carmel and Monterey, CA. Carmel is especially dog friendly, not many apartments is Carmel though. For special occasions we take our dog to Carmel city beach, browse through some art galleries and then out for lunch at Forge in the Forest, they have a doggy menu. (Just some info in case any of you may be passing through).

#3 ·
Kalamazoo, MI is a very dog friendly city. I live in a condo now that allows whatever animals I want (with a deposit), but I searched around and there were many apartment complexes that allowed dogs of all sizes, some with deposits, some not. TONS of houses to rent, too that allow dogs.

#5 ·
You should get a house with a yard. I can't think of a good reason to keep a dog in an apt above the 25 lbs weight

#15 ·
I definitely have to disagree... We live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn NY with a czech/DDR working line shepherd. AS long as he gets proper exercise and training as well as work (which I feel is extremely important for his well being - work can be anything from catching a frisbee to SchH work which we do) all he does at home is sleep / come up for some hugs / bark at the door occasionally.

With that said - OP if you are into high rent, high cost of living, unfriendly people (especially when you are walking around with a GSD), and cold winters Brooklyn NY is the place for you :). My building is dog friendly and seems that most pre-war buildings are around Bay Ridge neighborhood. PLus Einstein will get a new playmate :D

#6 ·
Lots of large dogs do great in apartments- there are TONS of alternatives to large yards. :)

#7 ·
I think there is nothing wrong with a dog in a 3 bedroom apartment home. We did find one place... but it was a little more than what we wanted to pay for rent. Its over 1200sq feet... with dog friendly runs outside and play areas. I think as long as you play with them enough, and lots of running/swimming and stuff like that outside its fine in an apartment. Its not like we go to work all day for 8 hours and she is left there. Actually my fiance works, and I take care of the home while doing college courses. My college classes only take about 3 hours so thats the most we are both ever gone. Someone is always there with her. Its great... she gets a lot of attention and love. I'm always outside, I love it so it works with me and her. She is 13 weeks today... and starts training 3-16.

#8 · (Edited)
At our apartment community in Puyallup, Washington, our neighbors had a cat, a Chocolate Labrador, and a GSD. When we all lived there, they charged a refundable deposit of $300/animal. We had a cat and a Cockapoo that we rescued. No weight limit as these apartments were built superior! We heard nothing from any neighbors. Sierra Sun Luxury Apartments - Puyallup Washington We lived there in 2005, so I don't know if the policies changed at all. The apartments are very expensive honestly.

On a side note - when my husband deployed to Afghanistan in 2009, I went back to spend time with my family in Savannah, Georgia. I was contemplating renting an apartment while I was there. Every single apartment community that I considered said they do not allow restricted breeds. I asked what dogs are on that "list" and told them the dogs I have. Yes, my Golden Retriever is accepted, but my GSD isn't. I just want to give them a hearty lecture on the GSD breed, but honestly I get to pissed off on the discrimination. I ended up saving money staying with my mom. Out here in Colorado Springs GSD's aren't restricted in any place I've called or looked into renting.

#9 ·
Hubby and I lived in an apartment in Woodbridge, VA for a while. We had a foster when we moved in but got Abby not too long after the foster went to her new home. We also had two cats (sometimes three) while we lived there. The complex was really pet friendly. I knew several people there with much bigger dogs (one with a Great Dane and one with a Saint Bernard) and people with four or five cats.

As far as big dogs in apartments - I've lived in some apartments that were bigger than some of the houses I have lived in. Home size vs. dog size is not an issue - a dog that gets proper exercise and mental stimulation should just relax inside the house, anyway. You just may need to work harder on getting proper exercise if you don't have your own fenced yard, but it can certainly be done!

#11 ·
I looked into local rescues. They had no advice for me on where to go, around here it isnt very "pet friendly" unless you have a 25lbs and under dog.
Thank you to all that have responded so far. I have abused the power of "google" lol.
To WILL AND JAMIE ... My brother lives in Larkspur, Colorado not to far and he has a retired K-9 unit GSD who is beautiful as can be, and spoiled rotten. We were thinking about moving to Colorado but we hate the cold and love the beaches or at least warm water.
Thanks again! Hope to see some more... :)

#12 ·
There's no warm water here as you may know which stinks for me because I'm from coastal Georgia. Our dogs don't seem to mind the cold water though! It does get cold, but not unbearably cold. We have some amazing weather here and beautiful storms in the summer - if you're a stormwatcher.

#18 ·
Yea that's really a misconception. It's another reason for owners to NOT walk their dog (oh he's fine he has a yard to play in). Normally, a dog left to his own devices in the yard will either lay around (if his exercise and mental stimulation needs are met) or do "doggy" things (which we generally dont like) like digging, barking, fence running, etc unless they are sufficiently exercised. A german shepherds needs to engage with his owner otherwise he'll just lay around waiting for his next task.

#25 ·
My GSD followed me around from apartment to apartment in TX, NC, and NYC. Like others have said, it's just a matter of keeping them well exercised mentally and physically.

Dog-friendly apartments are pretty easy to find in Manhattan, although a little harder with a GSD. As ayoitzrimz mentioned, they are all horribly overpriced (think $2K for a STUDIO apartment!) but New York doggies have a pretty darn good life: off-leash hours in the parks, dog-friendly restaurants and shops, lots of walks with Mom to run errands etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.