German Shepherds Forum banner

Just What the Doctor Ordered

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lmkersnick 
#1 ·
When my aging 14 year old GSD started getting diarrhea, I called my friend who had been her Vet for years. He told me to put her on a special diet. It cleared up her diarrhea in 2 days and I kept her on the diet since he told me it was ok to keep her on it forever. I now have a 3 year old and he told me to go ahead and apply the same recipe. Here's the recipe, it will help keep them regular:

dry dog food ( I use about 3-4 cups at dinner and a 2-3 cups for breakfast)
2 HUGE Tablespoons of PLAIN yogurt, you can use the non fat, but I use the fat because she is so active and my 14 year old was rapidily loosing weight before she passed.
1 cup of Rice (either white or brown, whichever is best for your GSD)
mix up so that the yogurt coats the dry. I now add a touch of meat to (just about 1 - 2 tspn) to Lola because she is a bit on the finky side. She loves this and eats every last drop of food. She is very very active and this diet has kept her regular. Her former owner told me that she would not eat for him and he just kept switching brands of dry food. I have no problem getting Lola to eat and she actually gets 2 front paws on the countertop while I am preparing her meal in anticipating her yummy meal!

#2 ·
Originally Posted By: Lola'sMommy
hmmm.... my daughter just read somewhere not to give brown rice to dogs, as it's too complex of a carb, too hard to digest??? is that true?

#5 ·
I have more experience with feeding rice to dogs than I'd care to discuss.

The way I know this really makes a difference is that when you just give them regular cooked rice some of it comes out whole in their poop! Never a good sign...

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: mitzismom
Originally Posted By: Lola'sMommy
hmmm.... my daughter just read somewhere not to give brown rice to dogs, as it's too complex of a carb, too hard to digest??? is that true?
Don't know whether that is true or not, I always use white rice, because that is what my kids will eat too.

#8 ·
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowANY rice that you give a dog must be double cooked, meaning double the amount of water and cooked for twice as long. It should be the consistency of mush when done. This will help with digestion.
Did not know this, either.... we have given regular white rice, cooked as for us, mixed wiht boiled ground meat or boiled chicken. Never noticed it coming out whole in her poop...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.