German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is almost 2 yo, 50lbs, and just had x rays done. She is a bit cow hocked, and sometimes run like a rabbit. We are currently doing 5-7k(3-4miles) 2-4 times per week, but I want to move onto 5-15k(4-10miles) 2-4 times per week. Vet said her joints are all normal so I am happy. Just want some second opinions here to make sure before I increase to the more serious mileage:) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^^^specifically, something I am concerned about is that her knees don't look like they fit? Like there is a large gap in between her upper and lower legs and the knee edges don't seem to to aligned. But the vet checked the knees and think they are normal. I am a total noob at this, lol, what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I don't know about the knees,sorry.I'm assuming you mean walking/hiking and mostly on grass?Pavement is not good for animal or human joints.Not good for a dog's pads either.If you meant running, those distances sound excessive and unhealthy for your dog.That's my two cents anyway:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the knees,sorry.I'm assuming you mean walking/hiking and mostly on grass?Pavement is not good for animal or human joints.Not good for a dog's pads either.If you meant running, those distances sound excessive and unhealthy for your dog.That's my two cents anyway:)
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I do realize running long distance with GSD is a controversial topic, I found this early thread: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/160836-do-german-shepherds-make-good-running-companion.html and it seems some people think running 100 miles per week is ok for GSDs while others think more than 3miles at a time is too much.

I guess I will just go and see how she does and monitor her physical condition at all times, thanks for voicing your concerns:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would ask what kind of running? Surface/terrain, slow jog or fast runs? Hills?
Slow longer run on a combination of surfaces and short faster runs on pavement. A little bit hill every now and then. Nothing crazy just 2 to 4 times per week when the weather is good:)

That space between the femur and tibia represents the joint capsule.
Yeah haha. I bugged my trainer and she told me to not worry about this as well. Guess I got over anxious from all the joint problems I read here, lol.;)

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
10 continuous miles is a lot. Even when we do the AD (20KM/12.5 miles) we have a couple of breaks. A couple of shorter runs during the week (your 4 miles isn't much for a sound GSD) and 1 longer should be fine, but with a couple of breaks. Would not be unusual for a herding dog to work for many hours at a continuous trot, with some breaks, during a working day. The GSD, though, was designed to trot those distances and not run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts