German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say that the advice given here was correct and I was wrong, albeit from a misunderstanding/miscommunication. You totally correct them for bratty biting that's out of line and that has to be taught with those boundaries.

I was under the impression that you don't correct a puppy for any biting and have had increasingly large amounts of scratches and bites over the past week. Trainer turns up tonight and is like.. what happened?

"You told us not to stop him biting."

"Yes but during play.. he shouldn't just bite you for that."

"Oh. Lol. Guess we'll correct him then."

I did have to laugh. So, pup got his first lot of corrections tonight.. he didn't break. He knows what's up and what he shouldn't do but he also knows that there are plenty of other awesome things for him to do.

Cheers for all the advice here once again. Life is better with a GSD 馃槀

Registered
With some pups you have to pick your battles. My dog bit a lot and charged into me head on for a long time. Correcting/punishing only made him bite more so I just went to negative reinforcement and removed myself from him when he bit. After he started to mature and the biting started to subside on its own I taught him not to bite and it was rather easy with no conflict.He was over a year old when this behavior started to decrease. It also depends on what your goals are with the dog.

Registered
SIGH

Over zealous biting can be almost or totally stopped by the 16-24 week mark ....
A 7,8,9,10,11 month, 1 year old biting at you, even occasionally? :mad:
Why???

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Why sigh?

I admitted I'd got it wrong and misunderstood a directive 馃憤

Ray has probably halved his biting overnight because of a few corrections. Minties!

Registered
Yeah, it can be. Try to be clear and direct with what is ok to, and what you want him to bite. It goes a long way to making it easier. The more he wants to bite an object, the more useful it can be. If he gets your hand by accident, saying no and taking it away momentarily, stopping play is a clear consequence if that object is something he really wants.

Registered
Why sigh?

I admitted I'd got it wrong and misunderstood a directive 馃憤

Ray has probably halved his biting overnight because of a few corrections. Minties!
As Steve said, read again, not directed at you.
You? Applause for taking good advice

Registered
WNGB,
Don鈥檛 know if your comment and question was directed at me, but if so, punishment had no impact and it would have led to conflict and relationship issues. Plus, I don鈥檛 want to inhibit biting and my approach with this particular dog worked out very well. There is not a single recipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts