German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is jane, I own a short haired GSD called dixey who is now 9 years old and have just aquired thursday last week a beautiful 4 half month old long haired little girl called jess (jessica) when naughty apparantly. Went shopping bought food and rescued her from death. Live in spain and have now for 5 years. Forgot how our babies used to be so mum again after nearly ten years. need bit of advice on couple of topics. She is very thin and does not seem to want to eat much can you advice thankyou in advance

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Jane!

Welcome and thanks for rescuing Jess. Does she have worms? That could affect her appetite and overall health. I would worm her ASAP. Have you had her into the vet yet?

Often they don't want to eat when they've had a big transition in their lives.

What are you feeding her? Sometimes I find that just plain chicken or beef and (overcooked) rice and potatoes works when a dog isn't feeling well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou

the very first thing i did was take her to the vets have her chipped and rabied and fully checked out. She did have her jabs done 2 months ago and the vet says she is fine but just very skinny. I wish our girls could talk as i feel she has been through a lot in her little life already. Tried the chicken and rice and also bought a large bag of special puppy food from vets. Just think things have been a bit traumatic for her and I just wish she would eat straight away. Dixey did as a pup . just think a lot of tlc is required and she should pull through. Other than that she is perfect. Driving dixey nuts is one of her favourite pass times

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re: thankyou

Welcome!

Sometimes it takes a while for a new puppy, especially one whose background you don't know, to settle in to a new home. That could be why she isn't eating much. Congrats on adopting her!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts

Welcome to you and thanks for rescuing your little girl. Hopefully with all your good care she will come around and pick up some weight.

GSD's are lean dogs so some of her "skinny" may just be her being lean. You want to keep her lean so her bones develop well.

My son is living in Alicante, Espana and working at the University. He is on an Engineering exchange program with the University of Kentucky. He LOVES it over there and is considering going back permanently after he finishes his masters.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

My guy is a rescue, just under a yr.
Skinny too, I have had him 5 months, he is gaining, but slowly. My vet, likes yours say he is fine. His legs are long. He is kinda built like a Grey Hound.
Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts

When I first rescued my dog she weighed 60lbs, didnt really eat and looked really skinny. Now she is around 70 and looks perfect. Once she settled in she started eating twice a day and hasnt stopped since.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Bienvenida! Where in Spain? The guy I'm dating is originally from Granada. I was in Spain last summer (my third trip there) with a group of my high school students.

~Kristin

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

Timer was 65# when he first arrived-
The Vet "insists" that he is in good weight at 99 pounds.
He's a big love munk and I cannot believe he was EVER 65 pounds.......

unreal.

Anyway THANK YOU for rescuing a baby and may he bring you YEARS of commitment, love and devotion. May you be fortunate to have him many years to give it right back to him.

Congratulations and welcome again!

·
Registered
4 Posts

thankyou to all of you who have sent such kind words. Jess (now 5 months) has been very ill with Parvo Virus and we nearly lost her. Now i know why she was not eating. She spent the 2nd week we had her in the vets but now she is back home to her loving family and is now starting to eat and becoming a complete mischief. She is lovely cannot be cross with her as she was nearly on deaths door. My older GSD Dixey now 9, was missing her very much but once she came back to the fold never left her side for a minute. They are very lively and happy here in spain and doing well. Thankyou for all your prayers regarding the Parvo but happy to say we are going from strength to strength. Will speak soon. To Kristin. Spain is lovely we are living in the south near costa del sol. Granada is approx 150 kilometres (100 miles) further north from here but is very very beautiful and HOT
love to all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts