German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago, my husband and I hit a financial rough spot and had to move into an apartment. We have two GSDs, Bandit (3yo) and Tempy (1.5yo). They are really sweet good natured dogs, and they are more like our children than anything. I know that having GSDs in an apartment isn't ideal but giving them up was not an option to us... like I said, they are our kids! I try to give them both as much outside time as I can but that has been difficult. So far, they haven't acted out or tore up the apartment. The closest dog park within walking distance has become infested with copperhead snakes since the summer started here in good ol Texas. So, I take them to a dog park for 30-45 min every morning across town and take them on 2-3 30 minute walks spread throughout the day. The heat prevents them from being outside much longer than that. My question is: Am I doing enough? They are well fed, well groomed, and with us as much as possible but I worry with our other responsibilities (i.e. work, school, household chores) that they are getting the short end of the stick... no pun intended. : ) Any suggestions would be truly helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes. You do a lot more then people I know. You can also play with them inside your apartment. Try to get them to play tug a war with one another. Years ago my GSD Baron would tug against my brothers Rott for a hour at a time. Don't ever think about giving them up.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
So glad you didn't give them up ( like most people) is it possible to get a treadmill

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Lucky pups to have an owner who cares about them as much as you do!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I see so many treadmill accidents on YouTube I'd be scared that might happen to my dog lol! My gsd is an inside dog so he doesn't mind. It's almost winter here and he loves rolling around in the grass then coming inside where it's warm to dry off lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Have you ever heard of a flirt pole? It's a great and fun way to play with your dog and give them some much needed exercise at the same time. 15-20 minutes with the flirt pole(my dogs favorite toy btw) and he's totally wiped out!

And yes, you are doing fine. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Giving them up was never an option for us!! A couple family members suggested it but we gave them a firm "**** no"! : ) We do play inside the apartment, and I've tried the treadmill thing before... They try to chew on the belt more than walk on it : ) Thank you guys for your responses. I'll check out the flirt pole too! You have all helped ease my mind!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
For a little more vigorous exercise try bicycling with them. Don't forget as they get older they are more content just hanging out with you too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts