German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we brought home a lovely GSD pup, 14 weeks old. He's been great with the housetraining (his breeder did a great job laying the foundation) and had never *knocks on wood* had an accident in the house. Yesterday he stopped consistantly going potty when outside. By this I mean we will stand outside for a looong period of time and nothing! He'll sniff, chase bugs, sit and grin at me... but no potty. Even after eating or exercise. So we'll come back in and I'll put him in his crate or ex-pen and half an hour later try again. I don't let him loose in the house to play until he's gone to the bathroom, but hours will go by! Obviously sooner or later he goes pee/poop, but I don't feel comfortable leaving him loose for 4 hours without going to the bathroom during that time period. Is he old enough that he just doesn't need to go as often? When can I assume he has the housetraining gig down, and can relax a bit?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our pups were housebroken by the breeder too, a lovely treat! I wanted to teach the pups to go on command so I took them out to the same spot on a leash and told them to go- I tried a couple of commands but it ended up being "hurry up!" since we had a record cold winter last year. Once they went, I made a big deal, lots of praise and treats. Uschi the female never had an accident, Stosh the male had a few in the kitchen, but he loved to pee. I mean, I think he would drink an entire bowl of water just so he could pee! Your dog is getting old enough to probably hold it overnight so you could be playing a pointless waiting game. I suggest you let him free and see what happens, you might have an accident or two but at least you'd get a better idea of what his schedule is. Sounds like by now he has the idea

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
How soon after eating/drinking are you taking him outside? How often are you taking him out?

I wouldn't leave a puppy loose in the house without a leash on and constant supervision. If he doesn't go, then take him back in and supervise him. When he does go, give big praise and treats and put a command name to it. It's really not to hard to get them to understand that you want them to pee/potty and it comes in very handy when you are out somewhere. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm taking him outside within 5 minutes of eating, and every hour and a half to two hours. When he's out and about the house, he's pretty much leashed to my belt or barricaded in the same room as me (we have a young child so baby gates everywhere). If I can't keep my eyeballs on him, he's in the ex-pen or crate. I'm thinking that I'm expecting him to void his bladder too much, and perhaps he just doesn't need to go!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes when they are very young they will poo right after eating but as they get older they can hold it longer, same with the bladder. Learn his schedule, once you know it, it will be much easier to take him out at the 'right time'. First thing in the morning is always a given, after that he'll develop a pattern.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's going to take him longer than 5 mins to need to go. Stosh is 8 mos now and I can set the clock by his schedule, you'll get to learn his soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts