German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just took Rufus out and saw roundworms in his poop. I know he was given Pryantel by the shelter a month ago but that either didn't work or he's picked them up since we brought him home.

I was just going to go to Pet Smart and get medicine from there but then my mother said it's better to get something stronger from the vet as over the counter products aren't as effective. (She lives in the UK, so I'm not sure whether that's the same here in the US?)

Obviously a trip to the vet will be more expensive, so if over the counter products are just as good I'd obviously prefer to go for that option!

I'm going to go in the next hour to get his wormer so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Personally if I saw worms I would take a fecal sample into the vet, that way I know exactly what I'm dealing with and get the proper wormer for it. More money yes but you get what you pay for, worms gross me out I want them gone ASAP :sick:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think you're right. The vet's drawing up a prescription right now and he needs to go in for a heartworm test anyway, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone!

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
You want to have the vet run a fecal because it's not uncommon for a dog to have multiple kinds of worms, some of which you need a microscope to see. You could have whips and hooks in the same dog, along with the rounds.

Once you have a clear diagnosis of the kind(s) of worm, the vet can choose the proper product. Some wormers are better against specific species of worms. I've heard repeatedly that Drontel is the most effective. It costs more than Strongid or Panacur.

I wouldn't try to self-diagnose and guess with OTC products -- it's worth a quick vet visit.

Also, if you are going to be starting new HW meds, there are several HW meds that knock out worms and keep the dog from picking them up again (e.g, from the soil).

Advantage Multi is around $15/mo; Iverheart Max is around $5/month from KV Supply online, if you mail in your vet's script. Iverhart Max controls roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms--but not whipworms. Advantage Multi controls rounds, hooks and whips, but not tapes. There are many other products that also control digestive parasites while protecting against heartworms--I just know these two the best.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
When Rusty was around 16 weeks he had tapeworms, so gross. Took a stool sample to the vet, he was given Drontel & that was the end of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied! Yes, I took him straight to the vet, I didn't want it dragging on for ages, and they prescribed Drontal, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Also, if you are going to be starting new HW meds, there are several HW meds that knock out worms and keep the dog from picking them up again (e.g, from the soil).

Advantage Multi is around $15/mo; Iverheart Max is around $5/month from KV Supply online, if you mail in your vet's script. Iverhart Max controls roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms--but not whipworms. Advantage Multi controls rounds, hooks and whips, but not tapes. There are many other products that also control digestive parasites while protecting against heartworms--I just know these two the best.
Thank you so much for this! I'm not sure whether to start him on heartworm meds or not, as I heard it's not very common in LA. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry though.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
often times, if they're given a dewormer, you can see them throwing up worms and/or pooping them out. An additional dewormer isn't necessary a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If he was wormed one month ago, it is not at all uncommon to need to worm again so that you kill both the adults and then the larvae that have hatched and become adults during the interim. Some worming medications kill the adult phase of the worms, but not the egg or larvae phase. This is why worming has to be done periodically in order to keep them at bay or keep them eradicated.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I'm not sure whether to start him on heartworm meds or not, as I heard it's not very common in LA. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry though.
Talk to your vet about that. I lived in Southern California for many, many years, and I would keep mine on preventative if I were still living there. This statement about HW not being very common started changing around 2004. After all the Katrina dogs came through rescue, HW started to be more common. I knew of a HW+ dog in the San Gabriel Valley a few years ago. Once HW+ dogs are around, mosquitoes will spread it. Here's the map: American Heartworm Society | What Is Heartworm Disease?

It's not as prevalent as it is in the Deep South, but it's there.

Since basic HW preventative costs as little as $5/month (from Walmart's pharmacy, or from KV Vet supply online, with your vet's RX), it's pretty inexpensive to keep them safe year-round.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talk to your vet about that. I lived in Southern California for many, many years, and I would keep mine on preventative if I were still living there. This statement about HW not being very common started changing around 2004. After all the Katrina dogs came through rescue, HW started to be more common. I knew of a HW+ dog in the San Gabriel Valley a few years ago. Once HW+ dogs are around, mosquitoes will spread it. Here's the map: American Heartworm Society | What Is Heartworm Disease?

It's not as prevalent as it is in the Deep South, but it's there.

Since basic HW preventative costs as little as $5/month (from Walmart's pharmacy, or from KV Vet supply online, with your vet's RX), it's pretty inexpensive to keep them safe year-round.
That's interesting Magwart, thank you! When you lived in SoCal did you medicate just in the warmer months or through the winter too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts