German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking over my bag of dog food, and noticed that the chart on the back reccomends I feed my puppy 3/4-2 1/2 cups of food.
I feed my dog at 8am and 5pm, and each time I give him 2.5 cups.

As I read the fin print, 2.5 cups is the reccomended daily feeding amounts, not the meal amounts.

So with that info, I sould only be feeding my pup 2.5 cups a day, not 5 cups a day like he is currently getting. Am I correct in this assumption?

2.5 cups doesnt seem like an adequate amount.

·
5,627 Posts
What food are you feeding and how old is the dog?

3/4 to 2.5 cups is a quite a difference. Did you read all the feeding guidelines? It is usually based on weight and age.

My female has only ever eaten about 2 cups a day.

·
5,627 Posts
Thanks. I didn't realize who the OP was.

OP, according to the chart on the page myamom linked, your dog should be getting fed 2.25-3.5 cups per day assuming he is 75lbs when full grown, if you think he'd be larger then he should be fed 3.25-4.5 cups per day.

However, hopefully after some research you will picked a more nutrious food and then you can feed even less.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I'm just taking a stab at it...not sure if he's feeding large breed...just know it's puppy chow.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Reading his old post, it seems like the dog is now about 14 weeks old. (Beautiful pup btw!!) So the dog IS going to need a little more food than an adult dog would but 5 cups still seems like a LOT of food. Even though it's common to see puppies with round bellies, this is NOT the proper way to feed your pup. He should be kept lean just as you would an adult. Weight on a growing pup is going to cause just as many, if not MORE problems, as it would keeping an adult overweight. (I don't know if he's overweight but just as a general reference)

I'd get the dog on a better food than Puppy Chow too. Besides the fact that you have to feed more because it's made up of ingredients that don't digest well (Which higher quality foods also tend to mean less poop clean up!) Puppy Chow also contains menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is bad for your dog.

The Dog Food Project - Menadione (Vitamin K3)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I have switched to Purina Pro plan, and based on the size and age chart I should feed my dog max 2.5 cups per day. This particular type of pro plan is neither for large or small breeds. After speaking with my vet, I am going to start buying Pro plan adult large breed food.

I feed my 14 week old male pup 2.5 cups twice a day, but I believe that I should cut this back to 1.25 cups twice a day to give him a TOTAL of 2.5 cups a day.

Now, the 5 cups a day was purina puppy chow, but I have since changed to a better food that is meat based vs. corn/grain based.

·
5,627 Posts
FYI: Purina Pro Plan Large Breed is still corn and grain based.

Ingredients:
Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, wheat bran, salt, dried egg product, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
I-4451
Ingredients are listed before they are cooked. Once the chicken is cooked it loses it's water weight and gets pushed further down on the ingredient list.

Have you read any of the links that were posted on your other thread? You can do much better for you dog than to feed any Purina products.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, I read through those links. TOTW looks like it might be the better price for product, and its available in my area. Thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts