German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching petfinder for english bulldogs and then decided to do GSDs(hestitating because I know I would go see some then) but theres like 1 english bulldog in ohio compared to unlimited amounts of GSDs. Over 30 within 20 miles of me. This is crazy.

All these dogs in shelters is crazy. Why can't the government do something about it or regulate it? Am I the only one thinks if I was a millionaire I would buy some big boatload property and just stay at home saving these dogs. Is there any rich entertainer out there that donates to any dog rescue? I understand lots donate for children and cancer but what about the pets that help those children and cancer patients? Bah

Just a random vent. It's just hard to look at rescue GSDs and know you can't help them all.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree with you and have noticed that as well. I don't know what is wrong with people now a days. I always say to myself why do they even get a dog when they can't even seem to do what's best for the dog. Its just so heartbreaking and people wonder why the GSD's have such a bad rep.......

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Ohio has a lot of puppy mills and BYBs. They dump what they can't sell quickly or breed. They are also not selective about who they sell to - the color green means more than finding the right person/family for the dog.

Fortunately, Ohio also has a large network of GSD and other breed specific rescuers. Since they do, a number of the dogs are saved, but thousands are not. Until the mills are shut down and the AKC stops registering any dog for a fee, this won't change anytime soon.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Thanks for the vent. Ohio and farther south. I just took in my first rescue last Saturday. The dog was transported, along with three other Shepherds from Alabama all the way to Wisconsin.

I just don't get it. I provided comments on another post questioning why so much of this was going on. I would think the dollars that go into transporting, fostering and eventually placing these dogs could be as well be spent upgrading the programs in Ohio or whatever state is transporting a large number of German Shepherd dogs.

As for my rescue, this shy, fearful 14 month old female is making substantial progress every day, and under no circustances should have been scheduled to be killed.

As for donors, yes, there is one old gentleman that has donated millions to the Wisconsin Humane Society, and they take in as many as sixty or more dogs at a time. The guy loves German Shepherds, and if you ever visit Milwaukee walk into the humane society and note the large plaque of a GSD on the wall.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
My biggest dream is to win the lotto and buy a huge peice of land and save all of the dogs that I could!

There's some celebrities that help - Off the top of my head there's Pam Anderson and Simon Cowell... And Sarah Mclaughlin does the aspca commercials... hmmm I know there's more but i'm drawing a blank about now!

Oh, and I was watching Disney Channel the other day and one of the young actresses was urging others to get involved in the community and ask their parents if they could help with an animal organization.

At least it's a start...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomOhio has a lot of puppy mills and BYBs. They dump what they can't sell quickly or breed. They are also not selective about who they sell to - the color green means more than finding the right person/family for the dog.
What makes you think these dogs are being turned in by their breeders? Most all the GSDs I have seen in shelters are untrained adolescent to adults and owner turn ins or strays. I rarely ever have even seen littermate purebred puppies listed in a shelter, let alone litter after litter of these supposed dumped due to not selling puppies.

AKC doesn't "regsiter any dog for a fee". The dogs must be from AKC registered parents, the breeder must be able to provide proof of keeping paperwork and males used over a certain amount of times must be DNA'd. AKC also has little to nothing to do with the dogs in shelters. Their job is not to imply the dogs they have registered are of any certain quality, just that they are X breed and have a pedigree on file with the organization and to sanction (not fund) dog shows. They do quite a lot more than that in addition that is above and beyond their function as a resgistry such as fund health research, education and fighting off anti-pet legislation.

Also FWIW many commercial breeders no longer use AKC but use organizations which more flexible registration rules and commercial breeder discounts such as APRI.

The people ultimately responsible for the majority of GSDs in shelters is the dog's former owners who bought a puppy or dog that they were unable to properly raise and/or care for.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Wow, that's quite a plug for the AKC and all those "responsible" breeders.

In fact, breeders are certainly partially responsible for the vast numbers of puppies and adult dogs in shelters. The breeders are selling their dogs to "the former owners who bought a puppy or dog that they were unable to properly raise and/or care for." That's because the vast majority of breeders don't care where their dogs are going and don't adopt out with spay/neuter contracts and return contracts. You show up with your money, buy the dog and you're on you're way.

And, btw, puppy mills are breeders! And their goal is to breed/sell as many dogs as possible. And many puppies coming out of those puppy mills are AKC registered. And that means big business for the AKC. And the AKC consistently fights against tighter regulations against puppy mills because they believe dogs are property and people have the right to decide what they're going to do with their own property, how much property they can have and how many litters their property can have.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There used to be a rescue (non-GSD) who actually posted the names of the breeders who declined to take back their pups. The rescue diligently contacted breeders when they could be found to inform them of the fate of their dogs and in a majority of cases, the breeders would not take the dogs back. These were NOT BYBs operations.

dd

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Quote: What makes you think these dogs are being turned in by their breeders?
My point is, if the breeders were responsible, they would take the pups back. Their buyers may be doing the "dumping" but if they decline to take the pup when they are contacted, they are not a responsible breeder.

dd

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
dd - I think Timbers response was to someone else.

A Great Dane rescue in Cincinnati also posts the names of breeders/kennels that do not take their dogs back. I think that is a great thing to do.

BOWWOWWOW - Thanks. I appreciate the points you made.

Agilegsd - If you think all breeders in Ohio or any state are reputable, you need to do some research. Ohio is one of the worst offenders with puppymills. And while there many great kennels, there are also tons of inexperienced, uncaring BYBs - or Pups for Bucks.

Of course there great dogs AKC registered. But if you think AKC papers always mean the dog is well bred, that's a stretch. One of the trainers I work with was recently given a young poodle. Sweet little thing and smart as a whip.

The owners walked into her store and asked if she knew anyone who would take it. They bought it a "pet store." They said she could have her AKC papers, too if she didn't mind that the dog was bichon on the papers. (Which is what they thought they bought.)

Guess the puppy mill that supplied the pup to the store was careless about paper work. Oh well - it's AKC registered.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomAgilegsd - If you think all breeders in Ohio or any state are reputable, you need to do some research. Ohio is one of the worst offenders with puppymills. And while there many great kennels, there are also tons of inexperienced, uncaring BYBs - or Pups for Bucks.
I live in Ohio and I really don't think it is considered "one of the worst" for puppy mills but I could be wrong. Do you have any info?

I also am curious if you can provide me with some links to all these GSD puppies that re currently in shelters in Ohio because their breeders couldn't sell them. That just hasn't been my experience at all with finding GSDs in shelters.

There are "good" anmd "bad" breeders every where. I am just not of the opinion that restrictive breeding laws are appropriate for any reason.

Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomOf course there great dogs AKC registered. But if you think AKC papers always mean the dog is well bred, that's a stretch. One of the trainers I work with was recently given a young poodle. Sweet little thing and smart as a whip.
Can you show me where I said AKC dogs are all well bred? In fact I said AKC is not an indictation of quality and does not claim to be.

Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomhe owners walked into her store and asked if she knew anyone who would take it. They bought it a "pet store." They said she could have her AKC papers, too if she didn't mind that the dog was bichon on the papers. (Which is what they thought they bought.)
Guess the puppy mill that supplied the pup to the store was careless about paper work. Oh well - it's AKC registered.
How do you know the "papers" where from AKC? Many petstores these days no longer have AKC registered dogs, as commercial breeders have largely moved towards APRI, CKC and the other commercial breeder registries.

That said, even if they were AKC papers they may not have come in with the poodle puppy. I have heard of stores or brokers holding papers of puppies that die and matching them up with unregistered puppies they get in. I hope that the people reported them to AKC for it. Certainly people get away with falsely registering dogs with AKC and other organizations - stuff happens. It isn't even just an issue with dogs either. A big name llama breeder was banned a few years ago after it was discovered by the llama registry that he was crossing alpaca with his llamas to get better fiber. Unethical people will always find ways to be unethical, no matter what subject you are dealing with.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowWow, that's quite a plug for the AKC and all those "responsible" breeders.
What I posted about AKC was facts. Do you feel that all breeders are bad or are somehow responsible for dogs being in shelters?

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow In fact, breeders are certainly partially responsible for the vast numbers of puppies and adult dogs in shelters. The breeders are selling their dogs to "the former owners who bought a puppy or dog that they were unable to properly raise and/or care for." That's because the vast majority of breeders don't care where their dogs are going and don't adopt out with spay/neuter contracts and return contracts. You show up with your money, buy the dog and you're on you're way.
So at what point is an owner responsible for the choices they make with their dog?

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowAnd, btw, puppy mills are breeders!
So are people who produce show dogs, working dogs, performance dogs, the next generation of any given breed, healthy/sound pets.

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowAnd the AKC consistently fights against tighter regulations against puppy mills
Like I said, someone has to stick up for breeders. What makes you think most of these "regulations" are aimed at puppy mills? Are you aware that commerial breeders (or puppy mills) already have to be USDA liscensed and are already regulated by the goverment?

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow because they believe dogs are property and people have the right to decide what they're going to do with their own property, how much property they can have and how many litters their property can have.
I totally agree with that. I hope to always own my dogs and never be their "guardian". It has nothing to do with my personal feelings about my dogs or my relationship with them. It is very important to anyone who wants to continue to have dogs, choose what dogs they want or breed dogs that we remain dogs owners.

Did anyone check out the links I posted?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would also like to know where ohio gets this rep. I've spent a year + looking for pb gsds and other dogs at the local NE Ohio shelters. I rarely see anthing that looks PB, mostly people who did not spay/neuter there pets and wound up with mix breeds. Rules are cool but most of these dogs are mutts, they're not coming from breeders, BYB or any other sort.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: chasethedogI would also like to know where ohio gets this rep. I've spent a year + looking for pb gsds and other dogs at the local NE Ohio shelters. I rarely see anthing that looks PB, mostly people who did not spay/neuter there pets and wound up with mix breeds. Rules are cool but most of these dogs are mutts, they're not coming from breeders, BYB or any other sort.
WHAT?????? Where on earth have you been looking? You have some of the most overwhelmed pounds right in your area: Mahoning, Stark, Trumbull, Cuyahoga, Columbiana--there are pb gsds in those shelters all of the time. I spent 2 months looking at Ohio shelters for dogs and was overwhelmed with the number of pb gsds in the shelters. In southern Ohio there are SO many pb gsds in shelters and rescues. Some of them are still there 4 months later! And the gsd rescues in northern Ohio don't seem to have any trouble finding dogs to pull.

Breeders don't often turn dogs into shelters, you're right. When they do it is because they can't sell them all, didn't mean for their dogs to breed in the first place or because the dog has a health problem they can't deal with. But thousands of pb, unspeutered dogs end up in pounds every day in Ohio and most are never reclaimed. So the link to the breeders is indirect but it's certainly there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry, haven't had that experience. What I have seen listed as PB, look more like mixes when I've gone to visit. Maybe I was there in the off season.

I was just at Valley View three weeks ago looking with a friend. The only thing I saw there that looked remotely PB was a yellow lab and a toy poodle.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowBreeders don't often turn dogs into shelters, you're right. When they do it is because they can't sell them all, didn't mean for their dogs to breed in the first place or because the dog has a health problem they can't deal with. But thousands of pb, unspeutered dogs end up in pounds every day in Ohio and most are never reclaimed. So the link to the breeders is indirect but it's certainly there.
Glad we've cleared up the misconception that there are all kinds of breeder turn-in dogs at shelters

As for the thousands of purebred GSDs ending up in Ohio shelters everyday - can you point me towards where you got that number? I have no idea if that is accurate or not, just asking. GSDs are one of the more common breeds to end up in shelters, of course there is a larger population of GSDs then most breeds in general.

Petfinder certainly makes it difficult to search for PB dogs, as there is often a lot of poor IDs and you can't search for purebreds only. So any breed search you do you end up with a huge number of mixes of that breed and a good number of dogs who don't look remotely like the breed, as well as purebreds. Was very frustrating to weed through when we were looking to adopt our corgi.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Pet finder is a crapshot. Most people claim that anything with a b&t marking and erect ear is a gsd or gsd mix. I actually did real foot work at Valley View, Berea, Lake, Geagua, Humane Society, Euclid and a breed rescue find of mines through the GSDCNO.

I'm just not seeing these thousands of dogs.
It does seem like the ones listed here come from the same counties over and over. Maybe theres a bad BYB or puppy mill somewhere in that county?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts