German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't have much advice for you, other than offer good luck.

Aiden was a runner. Every time the door opened, he'd run and be at the house on the opposite side of the neighborhood. So one day, I sat there and made him sit. I'd slowly open the door. If his butt came off the floor - door gets closed. It took a while, but he eventually realized that when he moves, he doesn't get to see outside. Sit/stay/watch me commands would help the lab, I'm sure. Those are the three main things I used with Aiden, but I'm sure that the lab would get it if the door kept getting shut in his face.

And I know what it's like having a lab that doesn't do well on the leash. Sania, our lab, hates the leash. She's HORRID on the leash, but I don't usually need it because if I have her ball, she won't leave my side. She'd turn around, thrash around, and pull her head out of the collar when she had a leash on, but she has a good recall and will stick to you like glue if you have her ball.

· Registered
4,135 Posts
I would suggest that *THEY* get training, get into some classes for obedience/manners. Possibly look into a sport that the owners and dog would enjoy to expell some of that energy.

If the owners are not willing to learn/committ then your efforts are futile.
Exactly.

If you go and train the dog, the dog will listen to you, but not his owners if they won't stick to the game plan. That's how it is at our house. I don't tolerate our dogs misbehaving. They all know this, and they almost always listen to me without a second thought. But my mom isn't firm with them, so they run her over, basically. Like when I tell Aiden to get off the couch, he gets off. When Mom tells him, he sits there and looks at her until she hugs him and give him love or pushes him off. They're not as pleasurable to be around when she's here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.