German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By dominant I mean actions portraying their dominance. For example, my Parker is 14 months old and he's been putting his paw on other dogs backs and trying to jump, playfully, on other dogs, as well as biting, non aggressively, other dogs necks and butt area.

Suggestions? Comments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also want to add that he does this but I tell him to stop and he does, but he does this to every dog we see.

Just don't want him to do this to the wrong dog, if you know what I mean :confused:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't think all GSD are dominant like this but our dog is. Once the other dogs are OK with her being dominant, they become good friends. I don't always want her this way, especially with a smaller dog, so I do make her go in the "down" position until I see she is relaxed, then they do a meet and greet again and she is calmer. Doing it this way let Molly be friends with our neighbor's tiny Dachshund mix.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mm I am not sure since my puppy is only 4 months old, but she also tries to paw other dogs backs and nip them between their shoulder blades, I really think it's just her bad attempts to get them to play with her lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do the exact thing. Down stay until I see that she's relaxed and I assess the other dog to see if he or she has a "dominant" personality to avoid them "bumping heads" for lack of a better phrase.

I admit that it could be because he is young and on his adolescent phase. But this cannot continue in the future, can it?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yes by far the only breed that seems a bit more dom acting are pits. People just don't like to admit it. Also when they fight they cause the most damage in seconds. Probably the way their jaws are designed. The real dom does not start to show though until they mature from what i see. Once it does you just have to be careful who your dog interacts with and what will trigger them.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine likes to paw them in the head and its always the small dogs, which she favors in general. She does this in a playful manner but I guess I can see how it can be dominating. Once I see that she is about to do it, I do stop her(she hasn't done it in a while). I just don't want her to hurt anything, because I don't believe that is her intention and I definitely don't want the other dog to get mad at her. I've gotten very good at reading all dogs, whether they are mine or not.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dog isn't dominate around other dogs. It takes him a bit to warm up to other dogs and when he does play he can be very gentle. He's been playing with a very small dachshund and he is very nice with her.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Mine is and isn't. For a while I feared he was dog aggressive, but I think that was all me.

He doesn't display any of the dominance behaviors you describe... But he doesn't move out of any other dog's way, either. He is usually far more focused on me, and as long as nobody gets in the way of that, he's cool.

But he's older than yours, too ;) hasn't always been this calm!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you are confusing play with dominant behavior. I have noticed that GSDs and most other big breed dogs like to play a little more rough then others. Just maintain a good leadership position and don't allow play with dogs who you don't know or don't know the owner. My buddy has 2 dogs and a foster and my GSD and I were over the other day. Turned into a pretty bad dog fight between my friends first dog and the foster. My buddy actually had to get stitches because he tried to pry them apart. Meanwhile I casually walk up behind the aggressor and kicked him in the nuts. He let go then. Didn't want to do it but hey, how else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts