German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm officially a probationary member of the local SAR team!

:D

On a further and related note, if anyone hears of any FUNSAR courses offered in the SE, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Yay. Well you are in GA, which team? Jim Greenway teaches and tests FUNSAR. PM me if you need his email. I think he is near Cartersville. In NC Roland Hamrick in Shelby does as well. We have a teammate looking for a FUNSAR class as well. They are often not published on the NASAR site.

Congrats.

Here is the NASAR list. My email for Jim is different than theirs but they also have his phone listed.
http://www.nasar.org/page/23/Instructors-and-Lead-Evaluators

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Is this with Freida? :) How's see doing with her reactivity to other dogs?
Heck, no, not with Frieda :laugh:. She's still reactive to other dogs - better, but no, she's clearly not SAR material. My goal is to get her to the point where she will tolerate another dog in the household, so then I can get a working partner. We are closer to that goal, and I had hoped to be able to add one in Aug/Sept, but my FIL passed away and MIL is moving here, and I doubt the wisdom of adding a MIL and a GSD puppy to our household at the same time.

Right now I am still learning the ropes, and I can flank or help with IC, or really, whatever they need :).

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay. Well you are in GA, which team? Jim Greenway teaches and tests FUNSAR. PM me if you need his email. I think he is near Cartersville. In NC Roland Hamrick in Shelby does as well. We have a teammate looking for a FUNSAR class as well. They are often not published on the NASAR site.

Congrats.

Here is the NASAR list. My email for Jim is different than theirs but they also have his phone listed.
Instructors and Lead Evaluators - National Association For Search And Rescue
I have his email, thanks. According to his website he is not planning to offer any soon, but I will email him to check. I'll let you know if I find one.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
The Alpha team is great. Say hi to Paula! We are on a mutual aid list with some of the GA teams (including ATSAR) and they with our team. We have called each other in on some of the "border area" searches where driving times are similar. I think it is good you are learning the ropes BEFORE you get that perfect dog for this!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sometimes if enough people are interested, someone will put one together. We are hosting one for Claiborne County Sheriff's office in Aug. So if you have several people ready to take one, you can often get an instructor to set a date. Many are not posted on the NASAR web site because they are closed or for specific groups.
And if you are working with a good team, they can take you through all the steps anyway. I think there are a couple Alpha team members that have come up to train with us before when we were at the beta site in Sevierville area. If you have a chance to take one under Roland though, jump at it, he is a blast to work with :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Paula is an excellent handler with years of experience.

I like Roland. I took an MLPI course with him shortly after a search gone bad years ago and they threw their heart and sould into never having something like that happen again. ......... Then took a FUNSAR retake with him and a friend just to brush up........Saw him briefly last year on a water search, and two of our team members have had FUNSAR under him since.

I will definitely mention if we have something, please the same for me since we have one team member who has met his pre-operational requirements except for the FUNSAR class and he has a jam-up dog, too (well of course the dog needs to cert as well-a darned floppy eared dog to boot-great dog)

We have a rule you cant go on any search until FUNSAR or we wil accept the ESRI (equivalent) --- We don't accept the online SARIII, we want the overngiht search, and the hands on work...then do refreshers on the important stuff routinely.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Congratulations!!!

I really wanted to train SAR with my pup, but the reality is, I can't pick up and go at the drop of a hat. :( So it is not to be...

I really admire those who do it though. My pups breeder does SAR with her dogs and my pups momma is a SAR dog. Her breeder was at 9/11, she has incredible dogs and she's an amazing trainer. It's such an important job. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts