German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I am just hysterical right now,.

I had a thread a little while back about Mikko scraping his front left nails while walking. We ended up doing an EMG yesterday and following up with an MRI. Got the results today and the cause was likely a past spinal infarction or embolism. The Dr. thinks he may improve over time and suggested some therapies to try and he's on strict rest for 4 weeks. Either way after the 4 weeks, he still can use that leg and can still run, jump, play, etc. The symptoms were pretty minor and he doesn't seem to notice.

But, they also saw something on the right side of his C7- enlargement of the nerve root and it may be a nerve sheath tumor. I am completely lost right now and don't know what to think. He is going to speak to the oncology department and get back to me about where we should go from here. He suggested that we either 1. get another MRI in 1-2 months to see if it has progressed; or 2. do nothing until he shows symptoms. He said this type of tumor isn't known to metastasize and that it's really slow growing. Eventually we may have to surgically remove it and that means amputation...

I don't know what to think or do or anything right now. He doesn't show any symptoms and is almost 8 years old, so could he maybe live a long and happy life without ever having to deal with this? The Dr also didn't mention whether it is malignant or benign, whether it matters or not. I guess he'll be discussing that with the oncologists as well.

I was just hoping maybe someone has been through this and can give me advice as to what to do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't have any advice since I haven't been through that but I will be praying for Mikko. I hope the oncologist will come back with good news. I don't know if I could do a "wait and see".

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm sorry, I've never been through it either. But my heart certainly goes out to you, and Mikko has my prayers as well. Hoping for the best for you both.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. No matter what you have to think possitive. I will keep Mikko and you in my thoughts & prayers.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could say more than that.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mikko. I havent been through this but Im sending all the positive thoughts I can that this problem causes him few to no issues and he has many happy healthy years. I understand why you feel so frightened and overwhelmed.When our pets are sick it makes us feel so helpless. It sounds like you have a good Vet who has already thought about treatment options including the least aggressive. That is a good thing.Take care of yourself too.
Maggi

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Oh gosh you will be in my thoughts. I went through all kinds of stuff with Grim (never did the MRI) but then after months and months of acupuncture and being on the mend.....hemangio.

My own feeling is to not worry about it to much as it won't change what it is and enjoy him and leave it at that. If it bothers him, then reconsider what you are doing.

Acupuncture did wonders for our different issue but there may be some holistic options that could offer relief. I wish I had more to offer.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much. And Nancy, you're right that worrying about it won't change what it is. It's all so overwhelming right now, but I'm trying to think positively, especially since he isn't showing any symptoms.
I looked up the canine cancer diet, which it seems his current diet is in line with. But, I'm going to make sure he doesn't get any grains in his treats. I just ordered more fish oil and will be doubling his dose of that. I ordered Olewo beets a couple of days ago, which are a good antioxidant. And after we get everything sorted out with the vet hospital, I'm going to make an appointment with his holistic vet to see if there's anything else we can do.

Thanks again everyone, it's nice to have people to talk to who understand.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am really sorry to hear this :(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear this ... will keep y'all and Mikko in my prayers!!!

I've taken some of the senior Hooligans to Lynn Peck,DVM MS up in Gainesville for alternative therapy (she practices at my vet's office in Micanopy once a week) ... some of it worked and some didn't ... the Bowen Massage was the one that shocked me the most and did the most good (not sure if it would work for Mikko's problems).
About Us

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all.

Gayle, thank you for the suggestion-I've tried the Bowen once before and it wasn't really my thing. I'm going to go back to Wellbeings (formerly Earth Vets) and go over Mikko's diet, do acupuncture for the left side, and see what else we can do.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good luck ... hope and pray they're able to help him!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts sent your way!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I am very sorry. I really hope this is nothing and the rest will have Mikko up and about like normal soon.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all so much.

I spoke with the Dr. again yesterday after he spoke with the head of oncology. They agreed that it would be too risky to biopsy. The plan is to do another MRI in two months and see if it is definitely a tumor and if so, if it has grown. If in the meantime, Mikko starts to show any symptoms (limping), then we are going to start with Prednisone, then possibly removing the nerve root and do radiation. The good news is that first, they are not completely sure it is a tumor (YAY), and second, if they do have to remove the nerve root, the oncologists believed that they would be able to preserve his leg :)

We have an appointment with his holistic vet today to go over his diet and everything and probably get some acupuncture for his other side.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know this sound crazy, but a friend had a puppy with something similar. The took a sample and found it was a fungus infection!

3 months of antifungal, steroids, a month of antibiotics and her pup is as good as new.

the infection started in the sinus cavity, went to the base of the skull at the spinal cord and who knows what else.

puppy exhibited weakness in his hind legs, similar to the beginning of DM.

its worth a check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts