German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my puppy friday and oh what a weekend it's been. She's an all black female about 10 weeks old and her name is Sydney. I think she's going to turn a little brown though, she's got brown fur between her "toes" and some spots of it on the back of her legs. Anyways, on to the questions....

She seems to have bad separation anxiety. She sometimes cries when she cant see me. Like this morning I took a shower and had her in the bathroom with me so she couldnt get into anything. As soon as the curtain went shut she starts wailing like someones killing her. She's also a velcro dog, she has to follow me everywhere. Though its cute and its nice to have a buddy, I wish I could make her comfortable with just being by herself and chewing on a toy or laying down without having to follow me. Anyone had these issues with a pup? How did you help them get over it? I also put her in the crate for the first time today and I'm sure she's freaking out. Are there ways to make it easier for her?

Another thing is...she chews on a lot of stuff. Carpet, rugs, couch, my legs, heels, toes, pants, etc. I know this is normal behavior and i'm trying to teach her whats appropriate to chew on, but she's increasingly stubborn. I tried redirection, taking an object away that she's not supposed to be chewing on and replacing it with one thats ok, but that doesnt work well with her. She won't let go of the object and ignores the toy I try to give her. I also tried clapping my hands really loud and saying "AAAH AAAH" but she still hangs on. How can I teach her the difference between her toys and everything else?

What are some fun and exhausting games I can play with her that's not too hard on her?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: Just got the puppy!!! Got some questions thoug

Hey, congratulations! You've got a typical gsd puppy!
Get used to being followed around because it will happen for the rest of your dog's life. Gsds are very pack oriented and many of us haven't been to the bathroom alone in years.

The fussing you've got right now is because she is pretty upset about being separated from her mom and litter. It's best to take a deep breath and accept the velcro nature of your dog because it probably won't change. Hopefully she will fuss less when separated from you but she probably won't be very independent.

Be sure to always give her a treat or something to do in her crate, even when she's just in there while you shower. You can put the radio or tv on too.

As for the chewing thing...puppy again! I would teach her to really love her toys. Every time she starts chewing on something inappropriate pick up a toy and give it to her and praise and play with her when she takes it. I would even carry a toy with you for this purpose. Pretty soon she'll pick up a toy on her own when she feels like chewing or gets excited.

There are lots of good training games to play. Running around the yard and having her follow you, little leash walks, tossing her toy, etc. Keep her brain and body going and maybe you'll tire her out a little!

p.s. You need to remember that she is a puppy. Puppies aren't stubborn or independent. They're just puppies! Enjoy the little alligator!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

I have 4 velco dogs out of my pack that go every where I go and don't leave my side. the other 2 do there own thing, but then again they don't want to get trampled by the other 4 and I don't blame them as some times I feel like I am being trampled.
You will adjust to it very quickly.
Congratualtions on your new family member. We look forward to seeing photos.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

Congrats and let me tell you we can't shut doors at my house.
Get use to doing everything with her attached to the hip.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowHey, congratulations! You've got a typical gsd puppy!
Get used to being followed around because it will happen for the rest of your dog's life. Gsds are very pack oriented and many of us haven't been to the bathroom alone in years.

The fussing you've got right now is because she is pretty upset about being separated from her mom and litter. It's best to take a deep breath and accept the velcro nature of your dog because it probably won't change. Hopefully she will fuss less when separated from you but she probably won't be very independent.

Be sure to always give her a treat or something to do in her crate, even when she's just in there while you shower. You can put the radio or tv on too.

As for the chewing thing...puppy again! I would teach her to really love her toys. Every time she starts chewing on something inappropriate pick up a toy and give it to her and praise and play with her when she takes it. I would even carry a toy with you for this purpose. Pretty soon she'll pick up a toy on her own when she feels like chewing or gets excited.

There are lots of good training games to play. Running around the yard and having her follow you, little leash walks, tossing her toy, etc. Keep her brain and body going and maybe you'll tire her out a little!

p.s. You need to remember that she is a puppy. Puppies aren't stubborn or independent. They're just puppies! Enjoy the little alligator!

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style="color: #3333FF"><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>
I cannot agree morewith EVERYTHING said here- !!!!!!!!!!!!!</span></span></span>

When I have company, I even tell them to lock the door behind them.....Roxie takes it upon herself to ensure that our company is NEVER lonely.
.....EVEN in the bathroom..
...our Gracie did it too......
even the kids know better, now if they want 'privacy' .....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the advice! Yeah being a new daddy is a pretty new experience. She has a great temperment and loves people and other dogs, I'm socializing her a lot. She's also very smart already. When I got her she was almost completely house trained as well as walking pretty well on the leash considering she's never seen one before. I'm teaching her tricks already. She's good with "sit", but we're still working on reinforcing the recall and learning "down." Other than the chewing and anxiety she's a great dog so far! I'll get some pics up soon!

In the mean time, does anyone have any more tips to offer about the chewing and anxiety?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Congrats on the new pup! As for the anxiety, I would try putting the pup in the crate a couple times a day, even for just a few minutes to get used to you not being right there. Give her a treat and put her in the crate and walk out of the room. Leave her for a few minutes and come back. Only let her out when she quiets down. You should eventually be able to leave her for longer amounts of time without her freaking out.

And I have the same kind of velcro dogs here. Everywhere I go is like a parade... and the bathroom does get crowded in the morning!

For the chewing, you can try some of the sprays (bitter apple, etc.) on the rugs although some dogs like the taste! Try to always have something "even better" for her to chew on that you can redirect her to. Bully sticks worked with Falken, no matter what he goes after if I offer a bully stick instead he'll usually give up the forbidden object for it. If that doesn't work another favored prize is a nice squeaky toy.

And lastly for both issues, exercise, exercise, exercise! A tired pup is a good pup and at her young age she'll tire quickly (although that won't last long so enjoy it while it lasts
). When Falken was about that age whenever he started getting into trouble I would take him out for a little light training, a little play time, and then walk around the yard for about 15 minutes. That was usually enough to knock him out for a while!

Good luck and let's see some pics!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Hi and congratulations!!

Did you read "Before You Get Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar? It's a must read for any new puppy owner! You'll be able to download it for free from that site: http://www.siriuspup.com/class_descriptions.php.

It gives great advice for the scenarios you are describing!

Tanya

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I've located the book that you suggested from a different link, the one you supplied didn't work, no worries though. I'll have to give it a quick read tonight and get some insight.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice! If I can get her to hold still, I'll have to get some pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts