German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I know this topic has been floating around I thought I would share. I have been comparing many companies and was down to Trupanion until I found Get a Pet Insurance Quote While I liked the fact that Trupanion was reasonable and had no limits I did not like this when I found it:

LIMITATIONS
(1) For pets that have not been neutered or spayed prior to their first birthday, no coverage shall apply for illness related to prostate problems, hormonal skin conditions, testicular tumors, perianal tumors, mammary tumors, uterine and ovarian conditions, birthing, or injury due to fighting, collision with a motor vehicle or aggressive behavior. This limitation does not apply to pets that have been spayed or neutered prior to their first birthday, to pets where the timing of being spayed or neutered was in conjunction with their veterinarian’s medical recommendations, or to pets spayed or neutered within 30 days of being adopted.

Soooo because Max is not neutered and will not be until he is 18 months I will never be covered if he gets hit by a car???? What???

So I signed up with Pets Best, and I also took the added wellness plan. They have been the only company that I could find that also offered that. It was an extra $22 per month and they will pay up to $480 no deductable but it is only certain $ on shots, etc. But when I looked I have already this year spent $500 on vet bills on Max.

I did only sign Max up for now because he is due for a 6 mo visit and I thought this would be a good test. He will be insured in 14 days for the wellness and 3 days for accidents. I will let you know how they pay up.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i had looked into Pets Best at one point, but there were too many exclusion for my comfort level.

only if you purchase the plan before the dogs 2nd birthday will they cover hereditary conditions, and even then the coverage is limited. their list of hereditary conditions is:

1. Factor I, II, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI and XII Deficiencies
  2. Von Willebrand Disease
  3. Hip Dysplasia
  4. Elbow Dysplasia
  5. Osteochondritis Dissecans
  6. Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease
  7. Cataracts in pets less than 6 years old – excluding secondary to trauma or DM
  8. Progressive Retinal Atrophy
they also exclude epilepsy specific to certain breeds, including German Shepherds.

they also exclude cruciate ligament injuries during the first 12 months of your policy, but that is not at all an uncommon injury for larger breed dogs.

i went with PetPlan because they dont have any of these exclusions. having exclusions for elbow and hip dyspasia were a deal killer for me.

the wellness plan looks good at first, but they essentially have you pay over $250 per year, and limit the coverage to certain things and only to a max of $480. i feel like they just wanted me to prepay for routine care.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I looked at the exclusions too. I also looked at Petplan but their price was to high for me right now. I am not too worried about hips and elbows since Max's parents and grandparents etc have all passed OFA.

I figure the wellness I can cancel if later it does not seem to pan out. I guess I shall see how I like it!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yes I looked at the exclusions too. I also looked at Petplan but their price was to high for me right now. I am not too worried about hips and elbows since Max's parents and grandparents etc have all passed OFA.

I figure the wellness I can cancel if later it does not seem to pan out. I guess I shall see how I like it!
i only pay $23/month on PetPlan. i chose the $8000/yr plan, a $200 deductible and the 90% coverage....my main goal was protection against anything major. i suppose it would be a bit pricey to make it so there is no out of pocket costs.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I wonder if it is different depending on what state you live in. I was quoted $27 for the same coverage, which is not bad. Right now I am paying $25 a month with the wellness but I did choose a $500 deductable. Well when I get Max neutered this spring and he gets all his shots I will see how I like the wellness portion payback.

I did not put my 7 yr old on it yet until I see how I like it. I did quote her and they were much less than many others were for her age. This is worse than shopping for car insurance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's not true, it's just an older statement. They will cover motor vehicle accidents, fights, etc if your pet is unaltered. They are trying to get people to spay and neuter their pets, but this is not the right way to do it.

Call them and ask about their coverage for intact animals. It is definately NOT as exclusive as their website says. They have just changed their policy on that.

I work at vet clinics and talk to the trupanion reps all the time. It was a concern of mine and when I asked she said they had dropped all that BS.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not true, it's just an older statement. They will cover motor vehicle accidents, fights, etc if your pet is unaltered. They are trying to get people to spay and neuter their pets, but this is not the right way to do it.

Call them and ask about their coverage for intact animals. It is definately NOT as exclusive as their website says. They have just changed their policy on that.

I work at vet clinics and talk to the trupanion reps all the time. It was a concern of mine and when I asked she said they had dropped all that BS.
Well they need to get rid of that and update their site. That was the main reason I did not go with them. I may change that later on.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Wow... I just looked at Trupanion again (our vet recommended them when we first took Jax there 5 months ago) and his premium would now be $41.20/m with $1,000 deductible or $103.94/m with $0 deductible.

Also:
Limited Coverage
Limited coverage for working pets and for those pets that have not been spayed or neutered by their veterinarian's recommended age. Coverage shall not apply to any condition resulting from activities related to racing, breeding, hunting, law enforcement, or guarding.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a bad experience with pet insurance in the past and after i used it a couple of times for xrays and other things that my dog needed done, they raised the premium so high that i couldn't afford it anymore UGH. So now i started a "Danica saving's account" for anything major. I just put part of my salary to that savings account for her. I may look into other insurances since it's been a while and maybe things improved but boy, that was a bad experience for me!

·
Registered
262 Posts

Strange why the website would state something different. Most folks these days go by what's quoted in the web rather than what some Sales Rep is telling you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have Trupanion and it's been great. I like that there are so very few limitations and no payout limits.

I asked about the limitation for not being spayed/neutered by age 1 and they said that it's limited if your dog isn't spayed/neutered by your veterinarian's recommended time. (Some puppies have health issues and have to be neutered later than age 1)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
the worst thing about Trupanion is there is no coverage for Hip Displasia if your dog is over one year old at the time you sign up. if your dog less than one year old, they make you pay extra for that coverage.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Trupanion and it's been great. I like that there are so very few limitations and no payout limits.

I asked about the limitation for not being spayed/neutered by age 1 and they said that it's limited if your dog isn't spayed/neutered by your veterinarian's recommended time. (Some puppies have health issues and have to be neutered later than age 1)
So I choose to not neuter until 18 months. I wonder if you get the insurance from them after the dog is neutered if that clause is still upheld. After all how would they know what age you did it unless they called the vet.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
So I choose to not neuter until 18 months. I wonder if you get the insurance from them after the dog is neutered if that clause is still upheld. After all how would they know what age you did it unless they called the vet.
Your premiums would just be so much higher. They have to make up those missed payments somehow ;)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Good point!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts