German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and hope to learn a lot about our new puppy. She is now 10 weeks old and her weight is 16lbs. One thing we have discovered is she loves to chew on everything. i’ve been reading all the forums and there is a lot of information here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forum and hope to learn a lot about our new puppy. She is now 10 weeks old and her weight is 16lbs. One thing we have discovered is she loves to chew on everything. i’ve been reading all the forums and there is a lot of information here.
Welcome!

We are on the same boat. Ours is 9 weeks, 14.5 lbs. Hope to learn alot. Currently in training. The first 3 days were sweet, easy going. Getting to know and get used to things. The last two days his nipping has increased. Doing lots of research to address it now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck and welcome. We have had GSDs for about 10 years, my wife also had them as a child. First was an 18 month old rescue, so no nipping issues with her.

Puppies can be very mouthy, to the point they are known as "land sharks," "alligators," you get the picture. Teething usually completes by 6 months or so.

But they can be nippy just to get your attention. Different people have different thoughts on this. Some say try to redirect with a toy, others say yell, "Ow!" and/or walk away. Still others say take a hard line and physically stop any hard biting, without being over the top abusive about it. We tried all of that, mostly the redirect and trying to tire her out with play. But at times, we tried it all.

I can say one thing worked for me with my 11 month old: she reached about 9.5 months or thereabouts, and went through a first heat. After that, no more trouser grabbing or nipping.
With her, it usually was a demand for attention and play. She did not bite to the point of causing real injury. Other puppies have not been as mouthy toward us. But they are puppies, so they will chew on something. Especially until they are done teething.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck and welcome. We have had GSDs for about 10 years, my wife also had them as a child. First was an 18 month old rescue, so no nipping issues with her.

Puppies can be very mouthy, to the point they are known as "land sharks," "alligators," you get the picture. Teething usually completes by 6 months or so.

But they can be nippy just to get your attention. Different people have different thoughts on this. Some say try to redirect with a toy, others say yell, "Ow!" and/or walk away. Still others say take a hard line and physically stop any hard biting, without being over the top abusive about it. We tried all of that, mostly the redirect and trying to tire her out with play. But at times, we tried it all.

I can say one thing worked for me with my 11 month old: she reached about 9.5 months or thereabouts, and went through a first heat. After that, no more trouser grabbing or nipping.
With her, it usually was a demand for attention and play. She did not bite to the point of causing real injury. Other puppies have not been as mouthy toward us. But they are puppies, so they will chew on something. Especially until they are done teeth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

With her, it usually was a demand for attention and play. She did not bite to the point of causing real injury. Other puppies have not been as mouthy toward us. But they are puppies, so they will chew on something. Especially until they are done teething.
Thank you that’s a lot of help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts