German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is some good information on training this dog i have read to keep the dog around other people so that it wont become aggressive. I know 2 people that had GSD and they said that they would always jump over the fence and get out is that just bad training. Thanks

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
welcome to the board! there are many wonderful, knowledgeable people here who will have great advice for socializing and training your dog. tell us more about your new white gsd...boy or girl? name? age?

i can start out by saying that gsd's should never be tied up or chained, they are very devoted to their owner and want to be wherever you are! and always on a leash when they're not in a fenced-in yard, they can be very curious and like to chase things, and can get into all manner of trouble IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE if they're not supervised.

tell us more about your dog and i'll bet you'll get some fabulous training and socialization advice from those here with great and extensive experience!

again, welcome to the board and many blessings to you and your new white gsd!

ps...we love pictures!!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!!!
I have three white GSDs. Socialization is important. You want the pup to not be agressive towards people and other dogs. Another important thing is consitency. You have to be consistent with the pup. You can't teach it something if you only inforce it sometimes. For example: If you don't want the dog on the couch you can't tell it NO sometimes and then let it up on the couch at other times. It will get mixed messages this way. If you don't want the pup to nip at you you can't tell it NO NIPPING sometimes and then wrestle with it and let it nip at you at other times. BE CONSITENT. Also, the pup will not be small for very long..... don't let the cute little pup do anything you don't want an 80 lb. dog to do! If you let it do things now, like jumping up on you, it will jump up on you when it is grown.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BABY!!! Please post some pictures over in the picture section. I would love to see him/her! </span>

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
dogtired425, it wasn't clear to me anywhere in the post that this was a puppy. your advice, however, is great even if the dog is already a young adult or adult dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about not posting more information it is

Name: Kayla
Sex: Female

as soon as i can i will take some pictures

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Welocme to the board, the people here are wonderful and give great advice there is so much info on here for you to read. Congratulations on you're new baby. I would get the pup in to a puppy class. as far as fence jumping I have never had that problem, I agree with dogtired Socialization is important. Pics please

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
OMG she is GORGEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOUUUUUUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a sweetie!
Congratulations....
We have three here..... keep them
-her - in line. no need ever to hit. read read read-
Plenty of great advice here - all you need to do is ask for it...
many members here are experienced in all levels and facets of training........ooh congrats again 0- -she is precious!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks how can i start showing here were to use the restroom. Also i have a 3yr old female beagle is it ok to put them together kayla has not gotten any shoot i am taking here on the 14th thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
she is adorableeeee..ohh my godd..I'm so jealous of youuuu..she is so beautifulllllll..what a beauty..enjoyyy

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I think(?) you said that she has NOT had shots- wait to introduce them until she has had her vaccines.....you don't want either dog to catch anything from the other......
Has she been to the vet since you've gotten her????? If not that is your first phone call!!!!!!!! She's beautiful....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just got her 2 days ago i am going to take her on the 14th this week if some one can post a link for training or is it to early to start training her

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had one Q: how many time a day should i feed here right now i am feeding here 2 times a day one in the morning and one in the night

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Don't take her around other dogs until ALL of her shots are done. Your beagle is fine. Don't take her to any pet stores, parks, dog parks, ect. she could pick up a disease like Parvo or distemper and they could be fatal.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
When I had my pup I fed 3 times a day for a while...Then changed to 2 times, I found she was not that interested in food in the mornings, play around with it see how it goes. I took my pup to training classes after her second set of shots..but ask your vet.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Wow,

what a nice picture. I have a traditional White/Tan GSD named Timber and he is my forever dog. However, I also foster White German Shepherds, my current dog a female.

The Whites bond closely, and are shy but very affectionate.

Tiolet traing. If you can catch the dog in the ouse pick it up and take it outside the where you want it to go. Regardless, take the pup out several times to a place where you want it to pee or poop. At some point the dog willbe tiolet trained.

How nice to have a puppy, and the clock moves fast, so keep us posted on how the pup develops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts