German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so clay has alway been a little fearful of large dogs scince being attacked at an earley age but has made fantastic improvement this past few weeks no barking or running away from any dogs at all and has become quit confedent so anyway we are walking home from a lovley walk with a friend and her dog we see a man with two boxers (now we know this man a one of his dog has gone for clay before nothing major it was one the lead and so was clay so each of us had our dogs under control very quickley) anyway today we see him over the other side of the field he has the bigger of the two on a lead and the smaller one off so the little one come running over all is fine and all three dog start to run around playing and then he lets go of the big one it come running over it makes a bee line for clay, clay come running back crying stands by me witin a split second the large boxer is next to him smelling he smell to every thing is ok the dog walks of to sniff my friends dog and then comes back to sniff clay and all of a sudden his dog flys for clay and clay retaliates so i grad clay by the coller and i start moveing round in circles while the two dogs are going for each other arfter about 2 minutes the guy finaly reaches his dog pulls him away and both dogs settle the guy says he is sorry smacks his dog and put him in a sit we chat for a minute and then he says he is sorry his dog dosent normal fight back when other dogs attack him saying he thinks his dog is getting i bit to big for his boots :mad: hes say my dog attacked his dog just not in so may words i woud have made sure he knew this was not the case if i wasent still in shock anyway what worrys me is when his other dog comes over the one clay was playing with clay whent inbetween my legs and barks two hight pitch barks at it then walks behind me and barks a fearther three times when the guy had gone i cheacked with my friend that i had got my story right and she had conferimed it was his dog who had gone for mine im so worried this has undone all of our hard work and distroyed his confedence im sitting here ready to cry out of worry anger and frustration i realy dont what my dog becomeing aggressive because of some stupid dog owners please any advice on how to boost clays confedince again and on how not to let this one stupid dog owner destroy my dogs confedence would be very much apprecated thank you so much

ps sorry about any spelling mistacks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
To me it sounds like Clay was fearful from the get go, running back to you inbetween your legs and giving off high pitched barks (all indicative of fear) The boxer most likely picked up on this made a move and Clay then attacked out of fear... So I dont think it was totally the boxers fault.

Start out by giving distance with dogs, treating when Clay shows no reaction and slow get closer and closer over time until he doesnt react and has more confidence, that is one way, but I am no expert I know others here way more qualified to help you than me, but thats what I would do

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he hid between my legs and barked arfter the attack but i do see what u meen by the boxer picking up on his fear i know i shouldent blame the boxer compleatley i was just very upset that it happend when i have worked so hard with him its just this guy know his dog dislikes my dog but he let his dog go anyway i just wish it haddent happend i guess i was venting a bit too anyway thank you for your reply:)

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
It's very difficult to read your post as written. I'm going to break this up into sentences and add some punctuation so people can actually read it.

Ok, so Clay has alway been a little fearful of large dogs since being attacked at an early age but has made fantastic improvement these past few weeks - no barking or running away from any dogs at all, and has become quit confident.

So anyway, we are walking home from a lovely walk with a friend and her dog, we see a man with two boxers (now we know this man, one of his dogs has gone for clay before, nothing major, it was on the lead and so was clay, so each of us had our dogs under control very quickly). Anyway, today we see him over on the other side of the field. He has the bigger of the two on a lead and the smaller one off, so the little one comes running over. All is fine, and all three dogs start to run around playing, and then he lets go of the big one. It comes running over and makes a bee line for Clay. Clay comes running back crying, and stands by me. Within a split second the large boxer is next to him, smelling. He smell to every thing is ok, the dog walks off to sniff my friend's dog and then comes back to sniff Clay. All of a sudden his dog flies for Clay and Clay retaliates, so i grab Clay by the collar and i start moving around in circles while the two dogs are going for each other. After about 2 minutes the guy finally reaches his dog, pulls him away, and both dogs settle. The guy says he is sorry, smacks his dog and put him in a sit. We chat for a minute and then he says he is sorry, his dog doesn't normally fight back when other dogs attack him, saying he thinks his dog is getting a bit too big for his boots. :mad: He said my dog attacked his dog, just not in so many words. I would have made sure he knew this was not the case if i wasn't still in shock.

Anyway, what worries me is when his other dog comes over, the one Clay was playing with, Clay went in between my legs and barks two high pitch barks at it then walks behind me and barks a further three times. When the guy had gone i checked with my friend that i had got my story right ,and she had confirmed it was his dog who had gone for mine. I'm so worried this has undone all of our hard work and destroyed his confidence. I'm sitting here ready to cry out of worry, anger, and frustration. i really don't want my dog becoming aggressive because of some stupid dog owners. Please, any advice on how to boost Clay's confidence again and on how not to let this one stupid dog owner destroy my dogs confidence would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

PS: sorry about any spelling mistakes

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very difficult to read your post as written. I'm going to break this up into sentences and add some punctuation so people can actually read it.
Thank you. :eek:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, after the smaller of the boxers came over all three dogs were let off leash to play? Then the trouble started with the bigger boxer coming into the picture?

My poodle can be fearful aggressive with other dogs, she's small and feels threatened by pushier larger dogs. She does the same as Clay where she runs to me and will hide so I can deal with the threat, but I also guard her and if I see she's uncomfortable I remove her from the situation. Mostly its management, but it starts with learning thresholds and boundaries and working with them.

I know by her body language how close the dog can be before she gets nervous and problems start. Some days she can have a dog in her face and she'll be sniffing back easily, others if a dog gets within 10' she's growling and wants to retreat. I started with walking her on leash down the street, each "threat" she saw I would give space, allowing her to observe from a distance.

She learned that she didn't have to interact with other dogs and if she was uncomfortable I would allow her to avoid it. When she was more confident with that, we started to go to a large quiet off leash dog park. We started on the quietest trails and observed, if a dog came too close and she got uncomfortable she'd run to me and I'd crouch beside her and gently push the other dog away making an invisible barrier around her. I'd pet the other dog if it was nice so she saw it wasn't a threat and sent it away and we'd keep walking. Now she can just sit or stand by me when she's uncomfortable and she knows I'll keep her safe, her motion to me when she's had too much is she'll stand up and put her paws on my knee. That's her way of telling me "ok, I've had enough" and I can either pick her up and give her a break or we leave.

It's what worked for me; hopefully you can find something that works for you. For now I would avoid off leash areas so all interaction can be limited to on leash and therefore controlled. Controlled settings help boost confidence and teaches you how to manage

Have you tried looking up Look At This (LAT) training or Behaviour Adjustment Training (BAT)? Both are great tools if you aren't already using them.

As for the other owner, try to forget about the comment. People justify by throwing blame all the time, there was no physical harm done and your friend's statement matches yours so you're safe.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
If Clay is not hurt, then relax, take deep breaths, and move on. The guy doesn't want to think his dog started it, that is his problem, not yours. And it doesn't help to dwell on it.

A lot of what happens long term in our dogs after an incident is due to our reaction in the situation. So even with a bite wounds and stitches, a dog might bounce right back, where another dog might relapse eventhough there was no connection, totally dependent on the owner's response.

Think about kids, if you kid falls off his bike, and you go over and hug him and look at all the wounds, and coddle him, or if you start screaming hysterically when you see a spot of blood, the kid is going to be a lot more traumatized than the parent that says, "shake it off" and keeps on going.

Dogs are similar, it's hard not to have your heart racing and your adrenalin up when there is a dog fight. But you have to master that as soon as it is over, and just walk it off. Release the anger and don't let the dog get stuck in your bad feelings about it.

It is bad that this happened, but it is also not so bad. It gives you a good idea of where you are at, and what you might do differently the next time. Like, instead of letting the boxer play with your dog and your friend's dog, call over and tell him to get his dog under control.

I am not blaming you. But people are weird. He saw his dog playing with yours, you are ok with that, he lets the other come over. If he saw that you wanted him to get his off-lead dog, then he probably wouldn't have let the other over too.

No matter what you do, you will have encounters with other dogs. Rack that up as a given. This was your first test. He will slide a little, but probably not all the way back. Just act like it never happened, and trudge forward with him.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank u so much for all your replys just a quick update, Clay is absolutely fine we whent on a social walk yesterday with a local dogwalker i know realy well, there were about 8 dogs of all shapes and sizes and clay had fun playing with them all and even joined in a game of roll in the dead thing :sick:.

so i think he will be fine again thank you all for your replys.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog being attacked doesn't mean it's going to more fearful
and all of your training and hard work is a loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts