German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I admit this is a minor rant. But, also intended as something that might be helpful to people. I see these posts over and over where people want to know opinions on their dog's health issue and many of them are, in my opinion, issues that should have been taken immediately to the vet without waiting a day or two to hear what forum people have to say. To the best of my knowledge, there is not a vet on this forum. Even if there were, the dog needs to be seen by someone in real life.

So, I thought to try and make a list of symptoms that I feel warrant vet attention. Here are ones that I could think of off the top of my head and maybe other people could add more?

1. Any symptom combined with lethargy. If the dog is depressed, I go to the vet. This can mean fever, which may mean something more serious or something requiring tx with antibiotics

2. Vomiting and diarrhea combined. They can dehydrate very quickly and seriously and usually need fluids, I have been told.

3. Diarrhea that is liquid, frequent, with urgency etc, same as above. I like for them to get some fluids so they can have 24 hours of bowel rest if they need it, without worry of dehydration. With diarrhea like this, I worry that anything they drink is just shooting straight through them and not doing anything for them

4. Anything in the eyes

5. Limping with crying out in pain. Any crying out in pain usually is a vet visit for me, because even if the solution is just rest, the vet can prescribe NSAIDS to make the dog more comfortable. I would typically go for limping at the walk too. Minor limp at a trot with no crying out I will often rest them myself and see if it clears up in a few days.

6. New lumps

What else, guys?

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Straining to defecate (possible FB) ... frequent attempts to urinate (dribbling urine/bloody urine) (possible UTI) ... distended abdomen (with or without retching/vomiting, not wanting to get up/come back inside) (possible bloat) ... labored breathing ... pale (or white) gums.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm very quick to go to the vet, or at least call and talk with a vet to see if they believe I should schedule something or just come in. I'm fine with tossing money at the vet I go to since they are reasonable.

For females (intact mostly but I've heard of spayed females getting pyometra) white/cloudy/greenish discharge after being in season. Warranted me a phone call to the vet (3 actually). Ended up being vaginitis and I chose to keep the diapers off for her second heat cycle (vaginitis did not appear that time).

A dog looking bloated and in pain when stomach is touched or refusing to lay down.

Thecowboysgirl hit on most of what I would take immediately to the vet.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
First, thank you for starting this thread. I agree completely. In addition to what has already been listed...

1) Injuries (leg injuries, back injuries, etc). I don’t care what they are or how minor you think they may be. Dogs are stoic and you could be making things much worse by not knowing what you are dealing with.mwhat you think is a mild soft tissue injury could just as easily be a torn CCL, or worse.

2) Skin issues. It’s very likely an infection and it very likely needs a culture and sensitivity and then proper antibiotics.

3) Deep cuts/puncture wounds. These will need proper cleaning and possibly antibiotics.

4) Broken/cracked/chipped teeth. Make sure the pulp isn’t exposed before you decide that no further attention is needed.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have never been one to rush my kids to the doctor, or dogs to the vet. BUT I understand the OP's post, I trust my own instincts and I would take them rather than post on the internet. I think her list is pretty good, but of course will vary in each circumstance. It's frustrating to me when people post about young pups clearly with dire issues.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
@;
I have never been one to rush my kids to the doctor, or dogs to the vet. BUT I understand the OP's post, I trust my own instincts and I would take them rather than post on the internet. I think her list is pretty good, but of course will vary in each circumstance. It's frustrating to me when people post about young pups clearly with dire issues.
I agree with you. I don’t rush my dogs in for every little thing either. But there has to be some common sense applied for some of the potentially serious things that often get posted here. I share your frustration when it comes to reading posts about very sick young puppies. :(

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call whoever said pale gums. When my dog had his first tumor bleed his symptoms were:

-trembling, clinging to me, not wanting to eat (and this was a dog who would eat anything anywhere anytime), not really wanting to get up from laying down. His gums were pale.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Good call whoever said pale gums. When my dog had his first tumor bleed his symptoms were:

-trembling, clinging to me, not wanting to eat (and this was a dog who would eat anything anywhere anytime), not really wanting to get up from laying down. His gums were pale.
Thank you ... I work at an emergency animal clinic. Some things are critical or can become critical very quickly. Glad you started this thread.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I call any time I don’t know what is wrong or if it seems serious. They decide if they need to see the dog or not. If I am still worried and they don’t seem to be, I make an appointment which I can always cancel if the dog gets better before we get in. If it is extremely serious or time dependent, I go to the 24 hour clinic. I just posted a question about skin, but it’s for diagnosis after I went to the vet, and not life threatening.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I had an e-friend with a GSD mix. The dog was retching and vomiting. He decided to just put it in a spare room with an easy to clean floor, give it access to water, and wait it out.

The dog was actually bloating. It was dead the next time he looked in on it.

Dear friends, if your dog seems uncomfortable, is straining to vomit, but producing nothing but a bit of frothy saliva, and its tummy seems distended, get it in the car, grab your keys, and head AS FAST AS YOU CAN to the nearest veterinary E.R. This is one of the gravest, deadliest emergencies a GSD, or any other dog, can experience.

You can also try giving the dog some Gas-x tablets. I've heard they may help with the bloating if the espophagus isn't completely twisted. But that should be done as you're on your way to the E.R., or, if you'r alone, just before you get in the car.

I'm lucky that the one time I thought my dog might be bloated, it had just pigged out on cat food (I left the bag out!) He wasn't bloated, just REALLY full of poop!

But I was very close to heading to the E.R. before he passed one of the biggest dumps I've ever seen! :D

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Vomiting and not able to hold down water. Although I am going to add and to me it was really something that saved my dogs life was and a person on this forums vet could not figure this out and a person did ask for some suggestions which became very valuable in taking the dog for a second opinion. The dog had stick puncture in his throat. I will copy the thread here. So in my opinion ask away but still take your dog to the vet and don’t be afraid to get second opinions by other vets as even they don’t have all the answers.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vomiting and not able to hold down water. Although I am going to add and to me it was really something that saved my dogs life was and a person on this forums vet could not figure this out and a person did ask for some suggestions which became very valuable in taking the dog for a second opinion. The dog had stick puncture in his throat. I will copy the thread here. So in my opinion ask away but still take your dog to the vet and don’t be afraid to get second opinions by other vets as even they don’t have all the answers.
Good one-

Any time a dog pukes back up water we go to the vet for fluids.

An occasional puke I don't think anything of. Even a bit of puking OR a bit of diarrhea I usually will try to treat at home for 24 hours. But puking back up water they have tried to drink falls back into that category of this dog can't possibly stay hydrated on its own.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Good one-

Any time a dog pukes back up water we go to the vet for fluids.

An occasional puke I don't think anything of. Even a bit of puking OR a bit of diarrhea I usually will try to treat at home for 24 hours. But puking back up water they have tried to drink falls back into that category of this dog can't possibly stay hydrated on its own.
Often a sign of a blockage. Many times dogs do get out and unseen swallow things they should have not. Vomiting up water and not eating and lethargic is a sign of blockage and also as you mentioned vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration especially in a pup very quickly or older dog.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
This is the post I was mentioning this post helped me and of course I took my dog to the vet - I also witnessed the incident but at first I thought the stick punctured his gum as I saw blood. I did think of this thread and realized it could possibly be a stick puncture and rushed him right in before an abcess could form blocking max airway so I incredibly greatful for mburitica posting this thread as I’m sure it saved time in figuring out what was wrong.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619074

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I don't/can't rush to the vet. BUT I probably monitor my dogs more closely then is normal, and I go with my gut. If it seems wrong, it probably is.
Any thing that is out of the ordinary for your particular dog in my mind requires a vet. If Shadow refuses to eat I don't even consider it, when Sabi refused her meal she was in the car in minutes.
With puppies I never play with vomiting or diarrhea. I may wait an adult dog out for 24 hrs but never a puppy.
Any time I see blood in stool or urine.
Anytime vomit has a foul odor or odd color.
Anytime a dog stops drinking, or anytime they are drinking excessive amounts without cause.
Pale gums.
Loss of balance/staggering.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
My kids were eating star fruit - some dropped on the floor max swooped it up and and some. I googled star fruit and dogs eating some and pretty much panicked for a minute. It was After hours I called the emergency clinic which calmed me down. The last thing I wanted to do was take him there and spend thousands of dollars but did get great information over the phone. As max did not eat much of it. I also when my gut and did not want to needlessly make him vomit. I’m not sure I would want that fruit in the house again though. I then looked on this forum here about star fruit. No symptoms but sometimes one worries when something is new and unknown.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts