German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rubbing my hands over my 9 month old German Shepherd and felt a bump on her chest, this is the 2nd time in a week that I pulled a tick off of her. The first one was a brown engorged dog tick but this one did not appear to be engorged, it was small and black and still very much alive. It was just lying there on her chest and I was able to remove the bug/tick entirely with my finger nails.

I immediately dropped it in alcohol and looked to treat the area where it was attached but could not find it. Tess has thick hair on her chest and it's so hard to see anything, I usually rely on touch to help me find them.

My question is where is did not appear to be engorged at all, does this mean that it did not bite her? Tess is due for her Lyme disease test the 2nd of June, is that too soon to detect anything serious? She is also due for her Vectra around June 4th. So hopefully she is still somewhat safe.

I hate these little buggers and it seems that they are pretty abundant here in Northwestern Massachusetts this year. I also hate using all the preventatives to keep her safe from Lyme.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The dog ticks do not carry Lyme. Ticks have to be attached for over 24 hours to transmit Lyme so probably not and issue; I would ask the vet. . Sounds like it was getting "ready" to attach but was not fully engaged.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sounds like the season all over the place. i obsessively check Zeus daily now...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one wasn't a dog tick, I'm pretty sure it was a deer tick, it was small and black all over. Last week the tick I found on her was a dog tick and that one was a brownish gray and was engorged. My vet told me that they usually feed for a couple of hours and then fall off. Tess must have got this outside in our backyard and most likely the other tick too!

Yes, tis the season, I'm hearing about folks finding them on their dogs all over this area. I've been checking Tess religiously but they're not easy to find on her. My little Cairn Terrier puppy is much easier to check and I worry about her due to her being so close to the ground. They could just hope up on her.

The two of them roll and wrestle on the grass in our backyard, which makes it so difficult to protect them.

They are so nasty...yuk!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think if you were able to actually find it, it's not a deer tick. They are SO SMALL they are almost impossible to find.

Ticks are HORRIBLE for me this year man oh man!! I am so sick of finding ticks crawling all over the place!! I just keep checking checking checking... thankfully Em has a pretty light coat! Would be tough on a GSD - I had a BC that was super furry and it was always a challenge.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looked just like the deer tick nymph in the chart below and it really wasn't that hard to find, I felt it before I saw it, and it felt just like a little tiny bump. Tess' fur is so soft and around the neck and chest area it's very light tan, so once I felt it and started to separate her fur, there it was in one spot but was still flat. I know that doesn't mean that it didn't bite her or begin to start feeding on her. Yes, it was definitely a deer tick, I wish it was some other sort of bug but I seriously don't think so.

I will be checking her even more religously than I already am. Every time she comes near me now, my hands are all over her feeling for them...:eek:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
We went flying rc today and I got one on my hand, one on my neck. Apache had 2 on her face:eek: and 3 on her legs, and well likely find more on ourselves tomorrow. At least all dog ticks, the woods are infested around chicago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts