German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
When is his birthday? He’s almost exactly the same age as my pup. He absolutely loves his agility classes as it has helped so much with training and creating a better bond/understanding between us. Even if you don’t ever compete, classes will still benefit you both. I do sympathize with the dilemma you face, I have a three year old intact Dobe/GSD and don’t plan on neutering him. I have no reason to. He is crazy athletic but doesn’t deal well with other dogs so competition isn’t really feasible with him anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
But my main focus with him is service dog training
Great aspirations. It looks like you are already on your way with your dog's natural instincts.

What specifically are your goals for service, if you don't mind me asking? I wonder because I am also in the process of training an autistic service dog, with me being the dog's primary person.

What are your primary needs in a service dog? They have a good group on Facebook for owner trained service dogs that had a lot of great ideas. I can post the url if you are interested. You said you would be the primary, are you training for yourself or another? What you will want to train will be what you need most that they can help with.

My goals for scarlet are different from what most need because of her severity and her specific needs. Atlas will mostly do work in the home as opposed to in the community. But I do heel train and have him do strict obedience outside just in case that changes. (If i ask him to sit and stay, I can walk out of site into another isle and he'll still be there when I return until he is released. He mostly has that down, just needs practice. He is always at a heel, when at restaurants he's is always laying neatly under the table.

For her my biggest goal is find. (He will go to her and whine loudly to alert us where she is). She's very limited in her speech and does not respond to us when calling. She's been known to wonder off. Will start in the house with two separate commands. 'Find', will give him a treat whenever he goes to scarlet and sits beside her, then will add in the 'whine' then will work it up bit by bit to further distances.

I'd also like him to bark whenever she walks out the door.

Another goal is to help with her self stimming. When she is being loud to put his head in her lap. When she pets him he will be released (so as to give her a bit of space as well)

Right now her epilepsy is controlled so it's hard to train him for that. I'd like him to whine in front of her to alert us that it's coming. When we've had to have her sit on the ground for her safety he already goes and lays directly beside her when he could be anywhere else, but he chooses to be beside her.

I like the idea of him whining over barking because he has a very intimidating bark and a whine won't scare people away but draw more attention. People tend to see him and want to pet or are scared of him. He has a good loud whine that I want to start encouraging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When is his birthday? He’s almost exactly the same age as my pup. He absolutely loves his agility classes as it has helped so much with training and creating a better bond/understanding between us. Even if you don’t ever compete, classes will still benefit you both. I do sympathize with the dilemma you face, I have a three year old intact Dobe/GSD and don’t plan on neutering him. I have no reason to. He is crazy athletic but doesn’t deal well with other dogs so competition isn’t really feasible with him anyway.
He was born May 11 and is a bundle of energy and I fear that nuetering him will decrease his energy level and make him gain weight. He's at the perfect weight and his vet told me to not let him gain or lose weight.

What does your dobe gsd look like? That must be a powerful mix. Is he more dobe or gsd in temperament / looks?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posting the url would be nice ☺

I'm training Vandal to aid my son and like you, mostly for in home work (we homeschool). We will work on public access but it's not necessary.

We are working on find and deep pressure, so it sounds like we have very similar goals. My son can hide and think it's a funny game, but it's actually a nightmare so I want Vandal to find him. So far we are doing a combo of Schutzhund style tracks and stinky thing in a hole filled water bottle finds. We'll also play hide and seek in the house with Vandal. The deep pressure has gone very well and we've been able to utilize twice even though Vandal is still a pup. I included a pic of Vandal working on deep pressure.

Our prospect is 10 weeks old so we have a long journey ahead and it's a little less sure that his personality matches service.

It's nice to meet someone with similar goals.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Posting the url would be nice ☺

I'm training Vandal to aid my son and like you, mostly for in home work (we homeschool). We will work on public access but it's not necessary.

We are working on find and deep pressure, so it sounds like we have very similar goals. My son can hide and think it's a funny game, but it's actually a nightmare so I want Vandal to find him. So far we are doing a combo of Schutzhund style tracks and stinky thing in a hole filled water bottle finds. We'll also play hide and seek in the house with Vandal. The deep pressure has gone very well and we've been able to utilize twice even though Vandal is still a pup. I included a pic of Vandal working on deep pressure.

Our prospect is 10 weeks old so we have a long journey ahead and it's a little less sure that his personality matches service.

It's nice to meet someone with similar goals.
It's wonderful to meet you as well!

There are 2 big Facebook groups I've found. The one I'm a member of is

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ownertrainedservicedogs/

There is a bigger group I just noticed that you may be interested in as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OTSDServiceDogs/

It's pretty terrifying when you can't find them. So many worries go through your head. Because scarlet kept wandering the cops tried to put a tracking bracelet on her but she ripped hers off, they couldn't beleive it. She took off one year on the snow and another year she won't into a neighbor's house to grab chips when she was on a gluten free diet. She goes through phases of behavior and hasn't wondered the last few years, but some behaviors cycle back and it's best to be prepared when possible.

I ended up lucky with Atlas, he seemed to know that I was the one and layed on my lap for 30 minutes before i took him home.

I think the most important thing is the bond you foster with your furbaby. A dog who seems to love being around others and is confident will make it much easier. The friendlier he is the better so socializing (of course being careful of parvo) is great. Is this your first GSD?

My first interaction with Atlas as a puppy and Atlas with me as he's grown. Atlas always slept with me and I never crate trained him. Screenshot_20191022-154506_Gallery_1571773522791.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_20181218_154716_928_1571773344212.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cute pics!

Yep, he's my first GSD but not my first dog. Vandal is working line and so far I'm totally impressed. He's really a great dog. He's so smart and in tune to us. It's a dream having a dog so ready to do stuff with me. He'd replace my right hand if he knew how...then I'd have a land shark hand 🤔

21 - 29 of 29 Posts