German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all
Just registered with the site to connect with other shepherd owners and hopefully share experiences. We just adopted Tyson this week after losing our wonderful 11 year old purebred boy Tripp last year. Tripp was extremely laid back, this guy's a little more high strung. He's from a champion bloodline. Very smart and teachable. Seems to have a touch of anxiety but it's only been a week! Any input on making him more comfortable would be much appreciated.
Dog Carnivore Comfort German shepherd dog Companion dog

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's very handsome, though he looks like he needs to lose some weight.Just let him settle in and get used to your household routine for a couple of weeks,taking time to get to know each other. He has no idea that his new home is permanent yet so he's naturally a little anxious right now.
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, there is a little work to do on his weight. His previous owners seemed a little clueless about it but we did notice. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He looks like the illustrations of “ideal”
Thank you! Our last GSD had that long nose and a more defined cap and saddle. Ty has a shorter nose and a more sable colored coat.

I'm
What a handsome boy. I would let him settle and stay close to home for a few weeks up so you all can get to know each other and your routines. Congratulations.
I

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He looks pretty comfortable to me. Nice looking guy. Welcome to the forum. I agree with others, just let him be until he settles in, usually somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks. It takes them that long to decide whether you are worthy of him being your dog.
Thanks! Any tips on getting this guy to not lose his mind when someone comes to the door?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Place or sit-stay and consistency. If it's barking, teach an "enough" command. I like a GSD that alerts to the door but has to learn when I take control of the situation.
That's the ideal. The alert is fine but beyond that the barking is a problem. He only obeys sit and stay when there's nothing better to do for now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts