German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all
Just registered with the site to connect with other shepherd owners and hopefully share experiences. We just adopted Tyson this week after losing our wonderful 11 year old purebred boy Tripp last year. Tripp was extremely laid back, this guy's a little more high strung. He's from a champion bloodline. Very smart and teachable. Seems to have a touch of anxiety but it's only been a week! Any input on making him more comfortable would be much appreciated.
Dog Carnivore Comfort German shepherd dog Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
9,270 Posts
He's very handsome, though he looks like he needs to lose some weight.Just let him settle in and get used to your household routine for a couple of weeks,taking time to get to know each other. He has no idea that his new home is permanent yet so he's naturally a little anxious right now.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
What a handsome boy. I would let him settle and stay close to home for a few weeks up so you all can get to know each other and your routines. Congratulations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's very handsome, though he looks like he needs to lose some weight.Just let him settle in and get used to your household routine for a couple of weeks,taking time to get to know each other. He has no idea that his new home is permanent yet so he's naturally a little anxious right now.
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, there is a little work to do on his weight. His previous owners seemed a little clueless about it but we did notice. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello to all
Just registered with the site to connect with other shepherd owners and hopefully share experiences. We just adopted Tyson this week after losing our wonderful 11 year old purebred boy Tripp last year. Tripp was extremely laid back, this guy's a little more high strung. He's from a champion bloodline. Very smart and teachable. Seems to have a touch of anxiety but it's only been a week! Any input on making him more comfortable would be much appreciated.
View attachment 590305
He looks like the illustrations of “ideal” GSD appearance.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
No stress re training for a few weeks, lots of opportunities to walk the neighborhood at his pace, sniff and explore, engage, time to decide he's yours and you'll hang around. Beautiful boy but yes a bit too much of him around the waist.;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
He looks pretty comfy but he definitely has a look of insecurity in his eyes. Poor guy hasn't figured out he's found a permanent home yet.
I have never met a dog that doesn't enjoy a nice car ride and in my experience a great way to get a dog to relax and bond with me has been to drive them around and go places with them. I think going to different places and then always returning to the same place to relax, eat and sleep speeds up their realization that "this is my home now".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He looks like the illustrations of “ideal”
Thank you! Our last GSD had that long nose and a more defined cap and saddle. Ty has a shorter nose and a more sable colored coat.

I'm
What a handsome boy. I would let him settle and stay close to home for a few weeks up so you all can get to know each other and your routines. Congratulations.
I

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He looks pretty comfortable to me. Nice looking guy. Welcome to the forum. I agree with others, just let him be until he settles in, usually somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks. It takes them that long to decide whether you are worthy of him being your dog.
Thanks! Any tips on getting this guy to not lose his mind when someone comes to the door?

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,061 Posts
We use dehydrated beef lung from Nature's Logic as a low cal training aid. I measure them out each morning and take them into consideration in the daily meal allowance. If memory serves, they are about 43 calories per ounce and they appear virtually weightless, so one ounce goes a long way.

Reactions: Beccapeach
1 - 20 of 21 Posts