German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can most likely post a video later but wanted to ask a question first.
I will give you the story of this dog and then ask.

I am on the board of our small SPCA. Last Saturday I got a call from a lady who found a young Shepherd outside the local food store. Dog was bleeding from mouth, nose, and one ear and limping badly. Told her to the call the bylaw as he has to collect dogs in our town and not SPCA. Then I attended along with him. We found the most pretty, friendly GSD when we got there. Took her to the shelter and the president came to check her injuries along with an ex vet tech. We have no vet here and make do with what we have. IF a dog is in need of vet care they are flown out in the morning. They thought she was OK.

Nobody claimed the dog. We adopted her. On bringing her home and watching her more closely we noticed her hips are not symmetrical. One side sticks out more. The foot is also smaller. She limps on that side. She does play with my other dogs. We have no idea if the hip issue was due to whatever made her bleed that day or if she was born with it. Judging by the foot issue too, I think she was born with it or has had an injury for a long time.

We are driving her 3 hours to see our vet on Thursday. Unfortunately he can't see us before then. And no, I will not be giving her back to the SPCA. I probably should have also noticed her hip but it was minus 40 windchill the day I walked her and she is not leash trained so was all over the place.

Question: Do you normally "see" hip dysplasia? Does the hip look deformed to the naked eye? Or can they appear deformed?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
Thank you for taking this poor dog in! As I am assuming your population is not geographically intense, I would wonder where this dog came from....maybe she was pushed out or fell out of a vehicle on some highway? Is that possible???

Possibly, she was hit by a car, or was pushed/fell out of a vehicle and was hurt - thus the bleeding and the limp. At worst, she has hip dysplasia, which can be diagnosed by x-rays....at times, people who are experienced (especially horse people!) can see an irregularity in gait which ends up being dysplasia...the only way to see what is going on with your dog is to have it x-rayed and see if there is damage from a fall/hit or if the hips are malformed.

Good luck....I hope she is ok!

Lee

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lady that found her and myself both wondered if she fell out of a vehicle. We don't think she is from our small town as nobody recognises her. I have a big male shepherd too and tend to know all shepherds in town.

The more I am with her (she is licking my arm as I am typing :laugh:) the more I wonder if this isn't an old injury or birth defect. What with the smaller paw too......

The vet just called me and he can't see her until Friday..oh well.

She is an AMAZING dog though. I love her to bits.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
It sounds like she was hit by a car - bleeding from the mouth, nose, ear...I would call the vet and say she needs to be seen today, just in case. Things could be sticking out because they are broken/knocked out of position. I would go to a closer vet (if there is one less than 3 hours away) if they are excellent and could get me in today - she needs to be x-rayed and thoroughly checked over. Please, be sure to have x-rays done - I would also do blood work, infections can set in that we can't see after a hit by car, or being thrown from a car.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Sounds like this girl went through quite a bit, whether it was a car or human beating her, I am glad you took her in. Good Luck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly there is no vet closer. He is 3 hours away has to be in court this week too. We are very remote.
She is doing well. I think she may have been injured a while ago or born with this. And then dumped in our tiny town. They probably saw a high vet bill coming with her hip.
I will try to get the video on today so you can see how one side sticks out.
Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I couldn't watch the video but I agree that it sounds like she was hit by a car and may have a dislocated hip or something may be broken. I hope that you are able to get it taken care of and thanks for adopting her!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
No you don't "see" hip dysplasia, only on x-ray. However if it is severe, you can see the results of limping and/or uneven muscle mass because the dog is favoring one side.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
There is definitely limping, and not using her right leg much. It could be a number of things, hip issues, knee issues, or other injuries associated with her being dumped. When you get her to the vet for x-rays, see I would have the entire legs x-rayed, take a traditional hip x-ray, side view of the knees, and any other views the vet might feel will help.

She is darling! Thank you for taking her in!

·
Registered
990 Posts
This may be silly but when you say her foot is smaller on the sore side could it be just because she's not fully weight bearing on that foot?
Their feet kinda look bigger when they have weight on them - I did try to see in the video but it as hard to tell.

Hope she will be able to get fixed up just fine :) Poor little girl it really does sound like she got hit by a car :(

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sad to say the news is not good.

The X-ray is attached.

The vet is doing a FHO tomorrow. We will drive down to fetch her next week and then we have the long road to recovery.

So upset that the SPCA did not fly her out to be checked as soon as she was brought into them. If they had, she would not have been moving around on the break this time. I can't imagine the pain she was in.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ouch! That is a nasty fracture. Glad she's getting surgery. I think the FHO is a much easier recovery than a THR. Thanks for adopting her and taking care of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I am a magnet for dogs and cats like these and they've all turned out to be fantastic companions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts