German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that this goofy dog does NOT know the command to bring an object to someone.

I was cleaning out my purse, and of course nosy Scarlet is helping me. I take a store receipt, fold it up, and pushed it at her mouth saying “here, take this to Kat”, pointing at my 17 year old niece across the room. Scarlet takes it, starts towards Kat, drops it, picks it back up, and takes it to Kat. We just stared at each other, lol. Lots of “good job!” to Scarlet, who bounced and wagged her tail. Who knew!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
It's almost scary how they can do things like this sometimes! I think they understand language a lot better than they are supposed to, or that they lead us to believe they can LOL!

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Smart little girl:)The only cool thing like that my dogs have done is my little Yorkie learned obedience commands by watching me working with the other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smart little girl:)The only cool thing like that my dogs have done is my little Yorkie learned obedience commands by watching me working with the other dogs.
My sheltie did the same thing. Learned to sit and down when I was working with my Dobe. It was kind of cute!

Reactions: dogma13

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My niece and her friend came over a little while ago, and she was telling her friend about Scarlet’s “trick” last night. She handed Scarlet a piece of paper and said “go give this to your mother”. Scarlet brought it to me. The girls thought it was hilarious (teenagers!). I guess we have a new official trick.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Your story made me smile and laugh. Here is why, you just reinforced a really great behavior that can be expanded on into a very useful job. I can't tell you how many times in my household someone from the bathroom has called out for ah hum..... help! and my boy is the official tp delivery guy. Lol

Your girl is quick so don't be surprised when she gets creative with things to bring you of her own accord. Oh and they do learn what items are high value to humans. Remote controls at the top of the list. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your girl is quick so don't be surprised when she gets creative with things to bring you of her own accord. Oh and they do learn what items are high value to humans. Remote controls at the top of the list. :)

I need her to find my crochet hook when I drop it on the floor. Hmmmm...

I used to have an Italian Greyhound that would bring me things all the time, because I taught her to trade. She was very clever. One day she stood on the coffee table and kept barking at me (life with iggies!). She wanted a treat. I told her no, get off the coffee table. She left, and came back with one of my sandals. I had to give that little smarty pants a treat for my sandal. Then I shut the closet door, lol.

I’ll see what I can do with Scarlet. She is very focused on me, and has a great sense of fun.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Our chihuahua learned how to play fetch when watching us teach max as a pup. Mind you we to tried teaching our chihuahua and King Charles to play fetch and it never worked out lol! I like the remote control idea definitely come in handy lol! Max will find keys and find cell phone if I loose them - have to do this more but pretty cool. They are smart so enable us to be creative and to keep them busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts