German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why does it have to be so complicated just to enter a trial? I've spent $95 this morning and I'm not even to the trial entry yet (and the dog was already fully registered AKC, 4-gen pedigree, and had a scorebook....those things already costing probably $100).

Why do I have more paperwork on one dog than the last three year's tax returns combined?

I kinda sucks the fun out of it. Now I'm not sure I can afford to enter the trial, surely not everything I'd planned to enter. Why can't we just train our dogs and enter trials when we see fit?

:crazy:

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
People say that trial day is just another training day-they are lying they call it a trial for a reason and its appropriately named

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
What SchH trial are you entering that requires anything extra? Plus, where are you trialing that the entry fee is $95?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I understand! Just the enrty fee for last weekend for two dogs was $261. That seems like a lot. That doesn't include gas and incidental expenses.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to get in an SDA trial and they told me I had to register for their organization (in addition to AKC, UKC, WDA... already registered). I have a scorebook with the BH in it (SV judge) but they said it has to be the AWDF scorebook, so that is $60 for membership plus $10 for the book even thought I'm technically banned from signing up(??) but can't request a scorebook without being a member? I'm trying to do the electronic forms and registration so I don't have to wait for the mail but every address on the forms bounces back undeliverable so I will try to fax it instead. Oh and now I need a vet to verify the tattoo even though I already did that so we have to make a trip to the vet.

At this point I'll probably just enter the trial without a scorebook. I just want to be in the trial, I don't really care if the titles are official or who's expensive piece of paper they're written down on. Previously I did the same with my other dog and she never had to have a scorebook or even separate registrations or a tattoo. But now I guess everyone requires you to pay for basically the same things. Also I got three different answers from three different people about what was required to enter (one person said all I need is UKC reg. so now I'm scrambling b/c apparently that's not true anymore). I'm hopelessly confused.

The entry fees will be $115 if I do all three phases.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand! Just the enrty fee for last weekend for two dogs was $261. That seems like a lot. That doesn't include gas and incidental expenses.
:shocked:

Maybe I need a third job to finance entry fees! I already have a second job to finance training, lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
OK. I assumed you meant a SchH trial. I didn't realize that SDA requires a scorebook.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Are you talking the USA GSD Nationals? If so, yes, national championships cost more.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Lies,

Have you talked directly to Dan Williams who is hosting the trial about this?

My understanding is that yes dogs do have to be registered with SDA, but for 2010 they were grandfathering in any dogs that are UKC registered and not charging a registration fee for those dogs to register them with SDA.

As far as requiring SDA membership to participate in their events, I don't consider that unusual or improper. Though I was also told by someone, don't remember who, that this requirement wasn't going to start until 2011. So something to check on.

Also no scorebook is required. It's completely optional. You only have to have the newer AWDF scorebook IF you want the titles recorded in the dog's scorebook. The newer AWDF scorebooks have a section in the back for titles from other organizations, whereas the older books don't. Can't use the older book simply because there is no place for non SchH titles. But still this is totally up to the person if they want to get a new scorebook just to have them recorded in it, but it is certainly not required. The titles still count, and you'll still get a certificate proving the title.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Dan was the one that said all I needed was UKC (which we have b/c I show there). Then he said someone else will contact me about entering and she said I needed the AWDF scorebook (which requires USA membership, which requires another tattoo verification and cancelling WDA, etc).

I like what you are saying. I guess I don't care if the titles are in the book or not, the only thing that would matter to me is not having to repeat them just b/c they are not in a book.

I get so confused by all this stuff!! LOL I can train the dog and prepare for the trial but it's the paperwork and procedural stuff that makes my head spin!

I did the SDA payment thing which I was fine with, supporting the organization. I think that went through instantly (well there was a glitch but someone e-mailed me before I even noticed) because I saw Nikon on their list right away.

But, I probably still need a new scorebook anyway if I do USA SchH trial in the spring? So, I might still try to get in all the papers but I won't have to rush.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uh huh...well rorie and I are off to chase the squirrels
Hey, you could make a title for that but first require one to be a member of three different organizations and have two pedigrees and two scorebooks and have multiple vets check the ear tattoo which is clearly readable by anyone with eyeballs!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Wow... The most I've paid in entry fees for a trial is US $10... that if I had to pay at all...

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Wait until the koers....

Two males, both need show ratings and koers (Quasi and Frodo). I can not go, due to Cara school, work and dogs, so hire a handler for Quasi for the show ring. Both dogs were already USA registered, so that $70 was last year. 1 female for extension, plus USA registration. 1 possible other extension or re-koer. So, 4 koers at $135 a piece, 1 usa registration at 35, 2 show ratings at 150, plus handler fee for one show rating...... and the show/koer is 6 hours away, so hotel, gas, etc and moving clients around.... :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
This sounds complicated...I don't understand the different concepts for the different groups/scorebooks and also...I believe it's different if I want to compete with a Dutch Shepherd over a German Shepherd - as there are some groups I can't? I'm not sure...not that we're anywhere NEAR that lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts