German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this morning my wife happened to see something on the roof of Zoe's mouth. I opened her mouth to check it out and she had a stick that was wedged between her teeth at the rear molars and was pressing into her gums

It left a fairly deep indentation on both sides and a little blood (prob from me pulling out out). It was in there pretty good. Best case is it's been stuck in there since Thurs. Worst case is it's been in there since Monday. I have made a vet appt to have the doc check it out. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I hope doc will give some antibiotics to ward of any possible infection

We missed it because there's been no indication. No peanut butter style licking, no whimpering, she's been eating and drinking normally, and we've not noticed any significant change in behavior

Since she was 8wks, I had always taken sticks away from her and gave her a toy. Now that I'm working and she's alone in a pen, there's no one to supervise her obviously, so now I'll have to check her mouth for sticks

I just wanted to let everyone know that if your pup has a taste for sticks and hasn't broken the habit, to check their mouth daily just as a precaution

I'm sure it was a rare occurrence that a stick breaks just right to get wedged and worked farther up toward the pallet, but now I will check her daily

I've tried to get a pic, but it didn't turn out too well

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sticks terrify me. Our yard is awful because we have tons of tree, so lots of branches everywhere that fall. Whenever we go out, I’m always just as tired because I’m going from spot to spot throwing sticks away, haha.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Yeah I had bad incident with sticks. our yard is woods and so much clean up we had so many down branches like with all the storms and recently snow. Luna is always bringing toys outside that I’m constantly having to wash so it does give them something to play with outside.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
We've had an issue with a dried pine branch becoming a spear in the back. I tend to break my sticks into small pieces since mine don't carry them around...but with this last storm that is taking some time.

Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts