German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first GSD and i have fallen in love with these dogs. My puppy is currently 11mo and about 50-60 lbs. i have seen other GSD puppies and they are much bigger, even the other pups in her litter are much much bigger than her. will she continue growing past 11mo? also i started out feeding her blue large breed puppy and it was passing right thru her, if you know what i mean, and now have been feeding her nutro max large breed puppy. She will eat just about 2 scoops a day anything more she will just let sit in the bowl. i dont know if she doesnt like the new food or if she just doesnt eat alot, its all very confusing. any suggestions would be well apreciated. thanks! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is my first GSD and i have fallen in love with these dogs. My puppy is currently 11mo and about 50-60 lbs. i have seen other GSD puppies and they are much bigger, even the other pups in her litter are much much bigger than her. will she continue growing past 11mo? also i started out feeding her blue large breed puppy and it was passing right thru her, if you know what i mean, and now have been feeding her nutro max large breed puppy. She will eat just about 2 scoops a day anything more she will just let sit in the bowl. i dont know if she doesnt like the new food or if she just doesnt eat alot, its all very confusing. any suggestions would be well apreciated. thanks! :)
I believe she may gain height as far as 12 months, but I am not sure, others on this site have said 9 months and they are at the max. I dont know this for sure, she will be get wider though at 16-24 months.

How big are your scoops? Hunter is eating 1 1/2 in the morning, and 1 1/2 in the evening, for a total of 3 cups a day. Hopefully this will give you some reference. One of the things you may want to do is to pull the food as soon as she is done, this will teach her that dinner is dinner.

ANd yes, I know what you mean about running through, have had several of those issues my self, if you wish to look inot dog food, this is a great site Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble. The only thing I can ask though, how did she eat prior to the change of food?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulling her food is a great idea i havent thought of that, i have tried to feed her in her crate and that worked about once or twice then she went back to taking a few bites then stopped eating. before she was on Blue she was eating eukanuba large breed puppy and she would eat that very well, but i was told by a few people that it wasnt good for her so i went to a more natural dog food. as for scoop size my scoop size is about 2 cups and she gets 1 in the morning which she usually will not touch, then one at night and she will eat. she is a very confusing puppy. but i love her to death :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Both of my dogs got an inch taller between one year old and two years old and both continued to gain in their chest/shoulder area up until nearly 4 years old. However, they were males so I'm not sure how this applies to females.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
*Generally* dogs have achieved all the height they will get by 12 months and then there is just filling out. But filling out in my dogs has never amounted to much more than 10-15lbs to the maximum adult weight. There is no more rapid weight gain. Actually in my dogs weight/height gain significantly slowed by 8 months.

So for example- my 12 month old is 70lbs. He's as tall as he's going to get. I would expect him to fill out to no more than 85lbs within 2 years later at 3 years old.

As far as the size...well there are ranges. I have siblings from different litters in my house and if we look at the boys I have one that is pushing 90lbs and his brother will probably never weigh more than 75lbs. They're just different. 70lbs is a pretty good size female. 50-60lbs is well within the range of acceptable size for a female GSD.

As far as food amounts- more food does make the dog grow- it just makes them fat. We feed Taste fo the Wild Pacific Stream. My 95lb male only eats about 3 8oz measuring cups a day. My 65lb female eats a little less than 2 cups a day. She also went through a period where any more and she wouldn't eat it. She was never sick, it wasn't that she didn't care for the food...she just didn't need that much. So as long as your girl is healthy and active I think it's fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just switched from the Eukanuba to Chicken Soup for the Dog owners soul Dog Food Reviews - Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul - Powered by ReviewPost for the same reason, Hunter Loves it, but I think Hunter has loved and eaten just about anything I have put in front of him..socks,tp, magazines, you get the idea.

And on a side note.. another 1" after 12 months? Wow,.. I am hoping Hunter only gets two more inches max before 12 months, if gets another 1 after.. oh boy..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My last female gsd maxed out at 64 lbs, usually went down to under 60 during the summers, so your girl will probably fill out a bit. It's good to keep them lean especially during puppyhood so there isn't too much stress on their joints and hips. As for not eating- join the club!! They're notoriously picky eaters and it can take time to find the right food. You've gone from foods with grain to a grain free, then back again, so you might want to look at the food analysis chart, pick a grain free- other than Blue Buffalo- and try again. Maybe Taste of the Wild. Several people have mentioned that the BB is too rich for their dogs so you're not alone. Good luck and welcome!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My last Shepherd, a female, was 70 lbs at the age of 1 all the way to 3. When I weighed her at the end of her third year she was 80lbs. She pretty much stayed at 80lbs until she got arthritis and we had to keep her a little trimmer, But she was not overweight at 80. She just grew until four years.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have 2 full grown Shepherds and one loves to eat and the other could care less no matter what food I have tried but I started adding a little water to her food and she eats it all up every time. Worth giving it a try anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts