German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts
Samson howls when he hears puppy noises in videos.He does the grumbly thing too:)

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
727 Posts
So funny! Kias would howl with the train horn, but that was just about it.

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Anyone who wants their dogs to howl and sing and has not yet tried, try the Harmonica.
Hmm. It's worth a try. My last boy was a talker, singer, and grumbler. Loved that about him. Luca at almost 7 months never makes a peep (aside from occasional alert barking).

Would you all assume that if he hasn't started making noise yet (other than using his squeaker toys) that he'll never be a talker or singer?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Catrinka
No, I think it can be taught to some extent.

Juno is mostly a silent dog other than alert barking. She occasionally grumbles.
This "howling" took some time to develop. At first, I was just playing YouTube videos with howling. She cocked her head, that was it. Then I start to howl with the videos, that got her attention. Then she started barky grumbling, and then howling. So I just cultivated it. But she howls when I howl as long as I howl. So if I stop, she stops, too. I can't put a timeline on it, because it's been on and off training, but I started last year in the fall, maybe once a week or every two weeks.

I have not tried the harmonica.

PS She howls better with my housemate, he has a deeper howl.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
@Catrinka
No, I think it can be taught to some extent.

Juno is mostly a silent dog other than alert barking. She occasionally grumbles.
This "howling" took some time to develop.
Yeah, good luck to me with that. LOL.
It took a lot of effort to get him to growl on command. Not at all vocal, except for guarding the house, which he does with intensity.
I guess he thinks howling is beneath him 😂 given his serious and very scary border patrol lines.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Great clip!

I am still trying to capture Rumo's howl at sirens, sigh. It's a long low wolfy howl, and he looks so earnest and it's very funny. But the minute we stand up and pay attention to him, he looks sheepish and then he stops! I think he feels embarassed about his loss of control.

( We did manage to teach him to "Shake" on command though...very useful after rainy walks!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts