German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The June Bugs are starting to appear and Gaia has made a game out of catching them in the air or pouncing on them on the ground. She'll drop it with a Leave it! but are they harmful or is this a "kids will be kids" kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I wouldnt know I see them and I run back inside and make sure my dog is on my heels lol those things creep me out big time. I wouldn't think they are poisonous or harmful they remind me of a ladybug on steroids!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I do not believe they are "poisonous" however my dog will vomit after eating so many of them. Same with the cats if they eat them... Green vomit yummy :sick:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do not believe they are "poisonous" however my dog will vomit after eating so many of them. Same with the cats if they eat them... Green vomit yummy :sick:
She's never actually eaten a whole one, just a couple of crunches then I ruin her fun.

I wasn't expecting them to be out yet so they caught me off guard last night. I'll let her kill them to keep them under control but no eating, don't want to deal with green vomit :crazy:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I certainly don't feed them to my dogs but the dogs are often off in the distance across the pasture / field doing their own thing while I am in the barn or where ever. They are within eye sight and I know when the June bugs are back by the vomit I clean in the morning... Its usually my samoyed she will eat anything that fly's by including bee's :EEK: It was really really bad when the Cicadas where in full force several years ago... Then I had to limit her and watch her very closely should would pick them off the tree's!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I certainly don't feed them to my dogs but the dogs are often off in the distance across the pasture / field doing their own thing while I am in the barn or where ever. They are within eye sight and I know when the June bugs are back by the vomit I clean in the morning... Its usually my samoyed she will eat anything that fly's by including bee's :EEK: It was really really bad when the Cicadas where in full force several years ago... Then I had to limit her and watch her very closely should would pick them off the tree's!

I wouldn't have caught on to what she was doing had one not hit the door and then I heard crunching (yuck).

She's my little butterfly catcher, constantly trying to catch whatever is flying by.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Baron eats them. I don't stop him. I think he enjoys catching them out of the air.
I am only nervous he will try the same on a bee.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl loves them. She loves them more if she can catch one.

When I was a kid I'd tie thread to their legs and fly them around.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mia loves playing with them, but won't eat them - They latch onto her nose and scare her. She'll throw and bat them around with her paws, it's adorable. :wub:

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Our neighbor has a hornets nest somewhere near our fence. Tuke and Zoey wait for them to fly by and snap them out of the air. I don't like it, but I can't seem to locate where they are coming from. When one of them gets stung, they will lash out at each other for a second, then go back to hunting them again. They don't seem to be eating them, just crushing them and spitting them out. I don't want them getting stung in the throat. I wonder if Benadryl would work as a precaution until I locate the nest?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
June bugs are almost pure protein and shouldn't bother a dog unless they eat a ton of them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our neighbor has a hornets nest somewhere near our fence. Tuke and Zoey wait for them to fly by and snap them out of the air. I don't like it, but I can't seem to locate where they are coming from. When one of them gets stung, they will lash out at each other for a second, then go back to hunting them again. They don't seem to be eating them, just crushing them and spitting them out. I don't want them getting stung in the throat. I wonder if Benadryl would work as a precaution until I locate the nest?
We haven't run into the hornet problem, yet but I'm sure we will. It does the trick for humans if its safe for dogs would it have the same result? I wonder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
766 Posts
It was really really bad when the Cicadas where in full force several years ago... Then I had to limit her and watch her very closely should would pick them off the tree's!
Cicadas freak me out. Thankfully we don't have them where I live but when I was in Korea...:eek: I hate hate hate them...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We haven't been invaded by June bugs or Cicadas yet...but they'll be here soon enough. Scarlett is more of a fly catcher or Wasp hunter. I'd actually PAY her to catch Japanese Beetles (June bugs) if I could. They do a huge amount of damage to my roses every summer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh man I can't wait for cicadas to come out! Our old dogs used to, and our current cats still do, pick them up and carry them around while they buzz loudly.

It's hilarious.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Baron eats them. I don't stop him. I think he enjoys catching them out of the air.
I am only nervous he will try the same on a bee.
My last gsd caught and ate bees her whole 12 yrs of life. She only got stung once as a puppy, that swelled up. She never went after wasp only bees. They must be taste good.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We haven't run into the hornet problem, yet but I'm sure we will. It does the trick for humans if its safe for dogs would it have the same result? I wonder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Benadryl is safe for dogs in the proper dosage. I actually carry Benadryl with us when we go camping just for the dogs. I also carry pepto pills too. Benadryl does have a "similar" effect on dogs as human. Although if the case is severe it is not going to work. It makes them extremely sleepy and also helps with anxiety if necessary in a pinch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts