German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly is 10 weeks old. We have been working on basic commands. I have a few questions though!
1. I have a 2 1/2 year old and she has learned that she can jump on him and knock him down (she is almost as big as him already) What is the right way to teach her that she cannot do this?
2. Someone posted about teaching them to find things. How can I start this with her? Like hiding a toy under the blanket and getting her interested in finding it?

Thanks so much!

Molly and me!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
For now you need to have your puppy under complete control when around your child. Your puppy is just a baby and can not understand not jumping up on your child yet. By not allowing this to happen at all, by either keeping your hand in her collar or keeping a short leash on her to prevent any jumping up, your puppy will not learn to jump up and will learn that she gets pets and praise for either sitting or standing for attention. Your child will also learn restraint in regards to the puppy as you will always be in between the two of them.

Under no circumstances should the two of them be left together without immediate, direct supervision.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an 18 month old daughter and a 9wk old puppy. I never have her on the floor if the dog is out of his crate. I use baby gates to keep them separated. It is working so far, but I'm hoping they still bond one day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will leash her. They LOVE to play. I just wish they were not so rough with each other. I am going to start working on down with her too!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 10 week old puppy and I have four kids ages 8,4, and 15 months. Charlie is always on a leash inside our home. If my twins are playing with him he's on a leash. When my 15 month old is playing we teach Charlie "off" so he knows not to jump on him or the other kids. We used redirections and tons of praise. I have never separated Charlie from the kids but if I'm unable to supervise Charlie with the kids he is either in his ex pen or crate. The in home leash or umblicial cord method is awesome and we've hardly had any potty accidents as well. I highly recommend it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts