German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is a new thing with Pepper (4.5 month old). She's always jumping up on the kitchen counter / dining table while I'm cooking and sniffing for anything that's there. How do I stop this?

Also, she is constantly biting my 10 yo because she thinks she's another puppy to play with. My daughter is not able to control her at all when she is in that kind of a playful mood. What can she do to make her stop?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I am working on this with Wolfie. I say No! Off! then push him off. He is about 75 % right now. Sometimes he doesn't listen, and does it anyways, and I have to go push him off. It's a work in progress, and has to be done everytime he attempts to jump up on the counter, not just sometimes.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Put a leash on her and correct her when she jumps up. When she isn't jumping tell her she is a good girl. Or crate her while you are preparing food.
As far as your daughter goes, is everyone in the house practicing NILIF? It works. A game of tug is fun, but your pup is in teething stage so I would have her play fetch instead. Pups need plenty of exercise or they will act up, so have your daughter go outside and play with Pepper!
If that isn't an option leash her to you for more control or crate her if she is out of control w/ your daughter.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have been using a leash as well in the house when preparing food, and the few times he has made half of an attempt to investigate he got a firm correction....he hasn't tried it again. I am lucky because so far he hasn't jumped up on counters at all, he's almost big enough now to just use his head! :) He thinks about it but the correction was firm, I am sure he will try it again and again. You have to be ready and consistent is giving him the correction AND praising her when she is giving you the behavior you want.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Renee' made an excellent point in her last statement: praise her when she is behaving the way you want. So if you are in the kitchen preparing food, have treats handy. Your dog comes in, starts some inquisitive sniffing...

You say "Eh-eh" (or whatever word you use when she is doing wrong - we save "NO!" for really awful stuff) and tell her to down. Then treat. Continue to treat only when she is down. Soon, you will have a dog who lays quietly on the floor while you cook.

That's what I did with Niko and now he'll often just fall asleep. I have to wake him up for treats. :)

Of course if you don't want her in the kitchen at all while you cook, you'd have to modify this a bit. Put a dog pillow outside the kitchen in a convenient location where you can still work and toss her treats when she's on her bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.