German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our nearly 75 lbs 30 week old puppy is very affectionate,he would not hurt a fly.But he in his excitement,has a tendency to jump.Any ideas on how to get him to stop.I am worried he might accidently hurt my wife,she has health issues.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one of the best ways you can encourage him to stop the jumping is to turn your back to him. Tell him OFF and turn away. Ignore. One thing that will also help is teach him that he HAS to sit if he wants ANY attention. If he isnt sitting, he doesnt get attention. Dogs dont want to keep doing something that doesnt get the results they want. If possible leash corrections would help with that too.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I think it is time to transition to months, not weeks. ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i should also mention that pushing him down physically will only increase the excitement and bouncing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Also if your voice is animated it amps up excitement and if the dog is not getting enough exercise same results. Is the jumping when you first get home and he is just so happy to see you guys? If so implement some training on the sit and wait command. Make the dog wait to be greeted instead of letting the dog greet you. Only reward calm hello's and either turn your back repeatedly which in my experience makes the dog more jumpy but does work with some, or put the dog outside repeatedly until it calms down. Every time he jumps say no and put him out, wait until he has chilled out there, let him in and tell him sit, if he jumps again back out, and repeat until he doesn't jump. It take patience but yelling, pushing the dog away, and other excited movements only make the dog think your playing and overexcite them:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Our trainer told us to ignore Layla when she jumped up. . . and turn away. It has worked. I was in the habit of saying "off" or "down," and even those words were giving her the attention she was wanting.
Since my husband did not follow this advice, Layla jumps on him and not me.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I agree with everyone else. My trainer and ever trainer i've ever spoken with has said to turn around and ignore the dog. They'll realize that if they want attention they need to stop jumping.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Can I jump in on this thread?-what happens when you turn around, ignore and they continue to jump, you turn around and turn around and just keep doing it. Ours seems to get more irritated and then will go to the next person, and then do a running jump. Sometimes scratching the face-not mean, just excited.. Didn't mean to interupt your thread, but we are having same issue...

·
Registered
485 Posts
One of the biggest things I find people forget is to give the dog attention when s/he is actually behaving. When I picked up my puppy, that was one of the first things she told us to keep the puppy from jumping was always praise her when when she did come and sit. She had a male that as a puppy would come flying at guests and throw himself into a sit a few feet away and slide right up to people, but the breeder found that people would completely ignore the vibrating (large) puppy sitting in front of them, so he started jumping up on people and then he got lots of attention. She had a hard time reteaching the sit, and when guests ignored him when he was sitting, she always had them give him some love.

We brought home a foster almost 2 months ago (90 lbs at 12 months) that jumped up and gave serious hug, while he slobbered all over our faces :) It didn't take much time of giving lots of affection for the sit and giving him an off and ignoring him for him to figure out how to get what he wants. He now comes in, and turns around and sits with his bum between my legs to get a good chest rub.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Can I jump in on this thread?-what happens when you turn around, ignore and they continue to jump, you turn around and turn around and just keep doing it. Ours seems to get more irritated and then will go to the next person, and then do a running jump. Sometimes scratching the face-not mean, just excited.. Didn't mean to interupt your thread, but we are having same issue...
When you turn your back to her/him, cross your arms at your chest so you don't inadvertently touch or push the dog away. Don't talk to the dog.
Be sure to praise the dog when all four paws are on the ground . It can happen in a instant and then they're back up and jumping so you have to be quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts