German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the city where I take my 17 week GSD, Pepper, for long walks. She is very nicely socialized since we meet a whole lot of people, children, bikes, cars, trucks, fire engines, ambulances and ofcourse lots of other dogs on the way. But, being the puppy she is, she tries to make friends with every other dog she meets...by jumping and nipping at them. Most of the older dogs just look at her disdainfully and carry on....but they all seem so much better behaved since they are not the ones jumping and nipping at her. Is this just puppy behaviour? Is there something I can do to stop her from jumping up at them...as well as on other people who stop to talk to her...since she is the cutest puppy on the block! ;)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you know she's going to jump so
don't give her a chance to jump.
i never gave my pup a chance to
jump on people or other dogs. when we approched
people or dogs i would hold the leash
close to his neck so he couldn't jump.
if he tried to jump he couldn't make contact.
if he tried to jump i would say "no jumping".
when i had friends, family and neighbors
visit our house so i could teach proper greetings
i would tell them to hold my dog by some neck
fur and gently pull him off and say "no jumping".
i did the same thing if he jumped on me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok so i know this is a super old thread but i have a similar question.

My pup Harley like to jump and nip at dogs to get them to play. I do not have that problem when we are out walking. My problem is she does it to my older dogs. My female will not put up with it. We have her in a muzzle now. My older male is usually very accommodating with her and puts up with it, and even plays for awhile. But eventually he gets fed up. Sometimes he will lash out at her, and mouth her pretty roughly. He hasn't hurt her but he scares the poop out of her. I don't want it to escalate. I already have 1 dog in a muzzle most of the time.

Any suggestions? She starts her official STAR puppy classes in a couple of weeks, she is going to doggy daycare once a week. There they say she is perfect. So is it just the fact my other dogs are older? Do I need to find her a friend to play with daily?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.