German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the world can I stop my 7 month old from jumping on the counters and stealing food? She also tries to jump on the table to do the same thing! Ive tried pretty much everything, giving her down command, giving the leave it command (both of which she knows) leash corrections, verbal corrections, a touch correction ( I give her a tap and wait for her to get down), Ive put cans on the counter and waited for her to jump up and knock them down to "scare her" into not jumping on the counter (should have known that wouldn't worked she is fairly foolproof to all loud noises).

I just dont know what else I can try? Please help this is really getting on my nerves and as soon as she gets down even when Im staring right at her she will jump right back up! UGG

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sorry I don't have advice but I do have a bit of a theory. Let me start by saying that I have never had a counter surfer. Over 20+ years, several foster dogs,and 3 dogs of my own i have only had to correct for counter surfing once for each dog. Sounds great huh? Well, in all those dogs I have never had a one that walked well on a leash. I try and try and I can never get any of them to walk without pulling and sniffing at every blade of grass and wanting to see every dog they pass. So my theory is that there is a dog language that I am unaware of and I am completely fluent in kitchen counters but I must be speaking "cat" when I try to teach leash manners. Maybe we should trade dogs for a few weeks if you are good at leash manners.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Let me clarify. I don't get pulled all over the place, but i have never perfected the heel with any of them. They are not out of control jumping on everyone and everything.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thank goodness we love them so much! I have two my girl is 0ne and my boy is 7 months.
He is a little tank at 77 pds not fresh-- just goes wherever he wants- extremely strong.
He was jumping on everyone coming into the house and counters I was at my wits end because he is very smart but just didn't get it.
Someone told me to try a spray bottle with water..so simple and it Worked!!
One squirt right in the face. I actually keep the bottle at my front door all I have to do is hold it and he doesn't jump!! Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
We had a major problem with counter surfing when our Jake was around the same age. For more than a week every time I was preparing something in the kitchen I had a load of treats ready. The first day I gave lots of treats right off the bat and as time went on he'd get a treat for staying off the counter for just a few seconds and then slowly increased the time in between treats. I would reward even standing beside me in the kitchen at first.

It added a lot of time to preperation in the kitchen, but he caught on fairly quickly and now at 16 months old he either sits or stands beside me in the kitchen. He always gets a reward even to this date. Most times he loses interest now and goes to lie down somewhere.

It seems like an impossible task when you're going through it with a puppy, but with some time dedicated to training it will get better.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank goodness we love them so much! I have two my girl is 0ne and my boy is 7 months.
He is a little tank at 77 pds not fresh-- just goes wherever he wants- extremely strong.
He was jumping on everyone coming into the house and counters I was at my wits end because he is very smart but just didn't get it.
One squirt right in the face. I actually keep the bottle at my front door all I have to do is hold it and he doesn't jump!! Good luck

Thank you! I will have to give that a try I will go to the store today to buy a bottle :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is your kitchen set up in a way that you can teach her boundaries?

I taught Gaia "wait" at the entrance to our kitchen, she knows she's only allowed in if she's invited. I know it doesn't really fix the counter surfing but keeps her out of the kitchen all together.

Another thing, how's her long down? We did a lot of proofing on this at meal time, what's more distracting then a nice juicy steak? The habit has kind of carried into she sees the plates goes into a down until she's released.

·
Registered
538 Posts

I prefer positive reinforcement to resolve issues like this ... I don't want to instill some kind of fear in my dog by spraying water in his face. It takes a little more time commitment with positive reinforcement, but this solved several other issues we were having with him as well. Now at 16 months, we have a well be haved Shepherd that listens.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is your kitchen set up in a way that you can teach her boundaries?

I taught Gaia "wait" at the entrance to our kitchen, she knows she's only allowed in if she's invited. I know it doesn't really fix the counter surfing but keeps her out of the kitchen all together.

Another thing, how's her long down? We did a lot of proofing on this at meal time, what's more distracting then a nice juicy steak? The habit has kind of carried into she sees the plates goes into a down until she's released.

Ive been working on it but as soon as I turn my back to do whatever I need to do BAM she is right there on the counter, I put her back and make her stay , I turn around and again she is right there behind me which is funny because outside or anywhere else in the house I put her in a sitz or down stay and she will stay for up to 3 mins (Im sure she would do it longer but that is all we have been working on in training classes) but she wont do it while Im in the kitchen and she is on the "boundary line"

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my point of view you should contact an experienced trainer for providing training to avoid jumping on the counters and stealing food.
I've been working with a trainer with her since she was 4.5 months old. She has completed basic obedience second in the class and she is now in advanced obedience class... Now that I have everything else under control (her biting me while on walks) there really isn't anything else she is fairly solid on her obedience (she still has puppy/adolescence days where she wants to blow me off even outside but she will grow out of that and it doesn't happen all the time)

Ive been doing everything my trainer has said to do and she is still counter surfing

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Here are some ideas, dont leave food items on the counter she wants. Keep her leashed so she cant jump on the counter. Put her in a crate when you cant supervise. She will soon learn the habit of NOT jumping on the counter because she has not had access to jump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hot pepper sauce or a generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper on a bit of food sometimes works.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
While my pup does well with not jumping up at all. I try to reinforce non jumping buy reminding him jumping is not allowed. I use timeouts in the crate when he decides to try me. I only leave him in there no more than 60 seconds. I tell him OFF!!! and take him straight to the crate for a short time. Don't leave him in too long though. It's worked for me pretty well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts