German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if a dog is so crazy that she jumps off the second floor and you worry that she would kill herself by jumping down buildings, just like that police dog...

how do you correct the behavior and teach the dog caution? Long Lead, being in the building, calling her down the stairs, clicker, shaping, E-collar?

Or simply avoiding buildings where she's got the chance to jump down at all? Keeping her on the long lead when going into a building like that and not giving her a chance to jump down? I didn't even think of it before I sent her out but when I saw her going out that door I knew she'd jump... I just knew she would and it scared the living poop out of me.

Indra Building Search - Jumping off the second floor - YouTube

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
No help here, but Oh My Goodness!! I would have had a heart attack. So glad Indra is OK.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was gonna make some smart comment about isn't that the joke about the difference between a GSD and a Mali...

...Then I realized this wasn't about your little Mali :eek:

Glad she's okay, good reminder why we all need to work on a rock solid immediate platz

·
868 Posts
Every SAR dog should have an emergency stop command. That command should stop them on the spot.

DFrost

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Yes, plenty of dogs are crazy enough to do that leap. I have a wait command on my tailgate and he learned not to jump off without a release. It seems to transfer. The rule is you donlt leave my truck until I tell you too.

Came in handy when he climbed up on this huge peice of construction equipment that was about 12 feet tall during a building search problem and I had to climb into and stand in the bucket to grab him and lower him down.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
So scary, glad that Indra is ok. :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Of course, here I am, going "Naw ... she wouldn't jump ... she's smarter than that."

I think DFrost has a fantastic solution with an emergency stop command.

·
Registered
808 Posts
About 2 weeks ago there was a Sheriff K9 that jumped off a building to his death just north of Buffalo. He was chasing a suspect and jumped over a small retaining wall that was really the end of a building. It was major news and K9 handlers from all over the northeast came to his memorial service.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
From another list. Lady's dog had to go to the bathroom, so jumped out of the second story window while lady was sleeping. Lady was awoken by angry barking dog. Seems the dog was pissed that it couldn't get back up there. LOL!

If you haven't guessed, it's a DS.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Luckily that wasn't a true second story height and it was onto snow. As she matures she might become more circumspect. Abby jumped from that height as a pup and was very slightly injured and she has since become smarter about how high she willing to risk. You both look like you were having a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Wow- that was crazy scary! Glad she was ok!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luckily that wasn't a true second story height and it was onto snow. As she matures she might become more circumspect. Abby jumped from that height as a pup and was very slightly injured and she has since become smarter about how high she willing to risk. You both look like you were having a lot of fun.
Except...where she landed wasn't any snow at all. It was all gravel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts