German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with Saber (14 weeks) jumping at people's faces and sometimes catching them with her teeth. Sometimes it is an adult bending down to pet her, other times it is a child who is short. She gets so excited to meet new people that she won't stay sitting or down and is all waggly and jumpy. If I stand on her leash she ends up trying to jump anyway and falling over on her side and sort of writhing on the ground until she gets up and tries to jump again. She does the face jumping on leash and off.

How to teach not to jump at faces?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Masi was a nose biter, and will still occasionally try and nibble your nose:)

I just tell everyone to keep their faces out of her face or suffer the consquences:(

That Saber is so stinken cute, I say let her do it LOL..(only kidding of course)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank was bad about this when he was younger, he's 9 months now, I practiced over and over with him that he only was rewarded with a pat or treat when sitting nicely, totally ignored if jumping, luckily I have a lot of dog friendly friends who understand and helped him to learn that the same rules applied when meeting all people. I also kept him on a leash so I could correct him and "help" him into a sit if ignoring him did not work.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Shawn, I hope you don't expect Saber to hold sit stay or down down stay for a long time at this point :) Distract her, giver her something to do. Does she have an outlet for her drivey bity side, or it's always about having her staying calm and composed?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shawn, I hope you don't expect Saber to hold sit stay or down down stay for a long time at this point :) Distract her, giver her something to do. Does she have an outlet for her drivey bity side, or it's always about having her staying calm and composed?
No, we haven't even worked on "stay" at all yet (aside from "wait" before going out the door etc). I just want her to stop jumping up in people's faces. I have to really be diligent with her around kids right now. There isn't really any distracting if someone is coming up to meet/pet her on a walk or at school, which is when she jumps/nips. It isn't a problem at home.

The only time she is calm and composed is when she is asleep :) Okay, she also does pretty well in puppy class. We do the flirt pole which she LOVES at least 30 min/day, walking 1-2 miles a day, lots of tug games with me and the boys. Loves to race around and be crazy with the couple of new puppy and dog friends she's made. She is awesome and I am sooo proud of her... just worry about those teeth meeting the face of a child she meets when we're out and about.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
AWWW..Saber is adorable..I want one! Ok, well, I think just always be ready to kneel down and help Saber stay "four on the floor".

I think it takes many months before they can be counted not to jump up. Like maybe 12 months or so! :) No guarantees!!

Thats the fun...they are a project. Who wants a perfectly trained dog..not me!

·
2,967 Posts
Having had several bashed faces, black eyes, and relatives dripping blood from over exhuberant greetings...I'm of the opinion that in general it is a management issue until they are old enough to start having some more formal obedience.

When I am out and about and someone wants to pet the puppy, I will immediately go down on a knee next to the puppy, choke up on the leash or hold the collar, and help keep puppy down. I will also start feeding treats and maybe give the person one. For me this generally reinforces that people will come to the pup...not the pup to the people. I also start spotting people who are interested in the pup before they make their approach. As they are looking I might say...She's friendly if you want to pet her! And then pull her in and assume position. If she can get to someone's face on leadyou've probably given her too much leash to make her own decisions with.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I am out and about and someone wants to pet the puppy, I will immediately go down on a knee next to the puppy, choke up on the leash or hold the collar, and help keep puppy down.
What a simple and effective solution. Thank you! This, I can do! I think I also need to tell people not to put their faces right up to her. For some reason everyone thinks it is cute to let the puppy lick their faces. But they don't think about those teeth! :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Having had several bashed faces, black eyes, and relatives dripping blood from over exhuberant greetings...I'm of the opinion that in general it is a management issue until they are old enough to start having some more formal obedience.

When I am out and about and someone wants to pet the puppy, I will immediately go down on a knee next to the puppy, choke up on the leash or hold the collar, and help keep puppy down. I will also start feeding treats and maybe give the person one. For me this generally reinforces that people will come to the pup...not the pup to the people. I also start spotting people who are interested in the pup before they make their approach. As they are looking I might say...She's friendly if you want to pet her! And then pull her in and assume position. If she can get to someone's face on leadyou've probably given her too much leash to make her own decisions with.
This is pretty much how I handle this type of situation. A couple of things; Saber is still pretty much a baby and they like to get into your face and near your mouth. The other thing is that in 37 years of living with GSDs, I hardly remember a GSD that did not want to slobber you with kisses if you give them half a chance. I will say that getting down to their level reduces the desire for them to jump up. I will also get down on one knee when I encounter an adult as well. I do have to qualify all of this by saying that you certainly should train your puppy not to jump because it's just the right thing to do.
Also if you decide to get down on one knee and get face to face with any dog, make sure that you know the dog and you have confidence that you are not going to get bitten!!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I also do not let a puppy jump up. I will either put a thumb through the collar or have the person doing the petting do that so the puppy physically can't jump up and then have the person get down on the puppy's level so there is no reason to jump up. By doing this consistently, the puppy never learns to jump up, hence he never develops a bad habit you have to correct.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that my pup nipped her trainer's nose! I saw it coming but didn't have time to correct (the trainer). When I'm introducing pup, I do the management as a previous poster described. In this case, the trainer got right in pup's face and made a kissy noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts