German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vienna is about 2 years and 4 months old and still will not jump in the car. I can get her to put her front paws on the back seat and then I have to lift her up. I tried everything to get her to jump, treats, her favorite toy, etc.
She is otherwise very active and we do training with her. Her recall is great now so she has freedom to roam leash free and play. Her favorite activity is the flirt pole where she literally jumps several feet in the air to get the lure. Probably can jump over my head LOL…
I give her an “up “ command and she will put her front paws on the seat as mentioned but that’s it. I have a small SUV Chevy Equinox so it’s not that high. Once in the back seat she sits and I tether her harness to the seatbelt and she absolutely loves car rides, so it’s not fear or anything that I can think of. Matter of fact, if I say lets go for a ride I better mean it since she gets so excited!
I put a milk crate on the floor and throw her squishy face lure in the back seat and she will climb up and get it…

Overall I'm very happy with the progress we have made with her training, she is great in public spaces as well. Any tips to get her to jump in? Lucky for me she is only 55 lbs :)
Dog Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Put one of the back seats down and let her jump into the cargo area first. I bet she'll do it straight off. The open rear doors in an SUV can be pretty narrow and I've seen dogs fall out backwards as it's hard to get the rear legs to land IN the SUV.

She's smart ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
I've also taught my dogs how to find the running board with their back feet. It's awkward and sometimes they need help finding it but once they do, they climb in like it is stairs. Frequently I saw them stop and think if it was worth the effort and then decide to simply hop in. But it was a good skill to learn since there were times when they were sore or not feeling well and hopping in was tough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Omigod, our Reina does the SAME thing! She's 19 months and 57 lbs and refuses to jump into the car. She'll put her front paws up and then we have to lift her--though we joke she probably jump over the car, she refuses to jump into it! LOL! Right now that's a good thing because we are dealing with a case of pano :( but otherwise it's frustrating.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the grear suggestion everyone! Will definitely try the back hatch and see if that works. Hopefully it just a matter of time and to be honest I need put some more effort into this myself. Vienna is a great counter surfer by the way :)

@Laura- Fur Mom of Reina hope your dog recovers quickly…

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the grear suggestion everyone! Will definitely try the back hatch and see if that works. Hopefully it just a matter of time and to be honest I need put some more effort into this myself. Vienna is a great counter surfer by the way :)

@Laura- Fur Mom of Reina hope your dog recovers quickly…
Thank you....so far, the meds seem to be helping. The hardest thing is trying to keep the pup from being a pup! But the meds make a bit lethargic, which is not a bad thing. Thanks for your thoughts!

And thanks to Jorski for that video! That is awesome and very helpful!

·
Registered
377 Posts
when I put the horse's lung whip in the back they will jump in to steal it but mostly I dont let my sheps jump into my vehicle they have to use the folding step stool, they do all the jumping outside in the field.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts